1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: T.O. attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Because he knows he has nobody on this board who thinks anything of him. If he defends D_B, maybe he'll be idiotsnetwork's (I like your variation as well) friend.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

A compliment: Thanks for giving hope to all Special Olympians who may one day aspire to join an online community.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Isn't that grounds for lifetime SportsJournalists.com banishment? If not, it damn well should.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Parcells has to be wondering who he pissed off in hell to end up with this 1,000-watt whackjob on his team. Back for one more year in '07? Not bloody likely.

And I wonder if Jerry Jones already has lawyers looking at the fine print in T.O.'s contract.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wasn't she CrackHead Irvin's "publicist"? Is Publicist the NFLPA code word for fluff girl?

6. swenk

swenk Member

This is fairly meaningless, but TO's book hopped from #10,000ish to #4900ish at Amazon today.

Which probably means they sold two copies to reporters looking for hidden suicide clues.

7. Then should a man be able to visit the locker room of Maria Sharapova while she's showering after a match?

This is indicative of little creativity in the women's movement now.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not uncommon.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It sounded like motive for the charade... pump up the book sales.

Funny.... not a whiff of Drew Rosenhaus.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The part of the story I missed was the part where someone offered a legitimate explanation for a police report that completely contradicts what Owens and the publicist said. Either the cops made shit up or the publicist made shit up. There's no way around that.

Will Leitch, of all people, sums it up quite well (and without that trademark Deadspin snark):
    http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/the-human-being-vs-the-publicist-203670.php

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's just a hunch, just a feeling, but I think this is going to boil down to,

a. the suicide thing is real

b. the publicist is a complete liar

c. TO should be watched, and I don't mean on a football field. I think he needs to spend some time away from the game and get some psychological help.

I don't think this is more prima donna attention-seeking, I don't think this is a misunderstanding about some pain medication and supplements. I think this was real, and TO realized just how bad it might look to the American public, which generally doesn't tolerate weakness in its young men, especially athletes and other celebrities.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A couple of observations:

1. The publicist lied like crazy and will soon be an ex-publicist if T.O. has any brains at all.

2. Rosenhaus and Jerry Jones were both on-site at Valley Ranch, but deliberately stayed out of camera range. When Etheridge closed with her ``25 million reasons'' line, Rosenhaus gave her a thumbs-up.

3. Cowboys PR guy Rich Dalrymple is a master of spin control. While Etheridge is calling the cops liars, Dalrymple leans over and whispers something to T.O., then announces Owens has one more thing he wants to say. Owens then thanks the police, fire rescue, hospital personnel, etc. Guess where that suggestion came from? Dalrymple has been through every firestorm imaginable in his time with the Cowboys. If I were running for president, I'd want him handling damage control for my campaign.

4. No one on earth believes Parcells didn't find out about any of this until mid-morning Wednesday. His lies were even more blatant than Etheridge's.

5. Deion Sanders needs to go away. Deion tried to orchestrate the media coverage when T.O. was going to do his press conference at his house, and tried to limit access to a few hand-picked reporters, causing chaos. Eventually, Dalrymple got ahold of Owens and got him to bring the press conference to Valley Ranch, where it would be easier to control. After the presser, when a reporter tried to ask Etheridge something on her way out, Deion got in hs face and told him to stop ``badgering the witness.''

6. The whole thing was ridiculously out of control. There were TV helicopters following Owens' car from his house to the Cowboys' facility like it was O.J.'s white Bronco or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted