1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Starbucks wastes 6 million gallons of water per day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Shouldn't they be boiling the water for the coffee anyway. And what the fuck does it matter about germs, we are just gonna get the same germs from water at home, at work and at every other place we go to.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They aren't worried about the germs. They're worried about getting sued because of the germs.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But they sell fair trade coffee so that's an offset in my book

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

I would think Starbucks could come up with a better way - system filters, instant hot - whatever - to avoid germs rather than leaving the fucking tap running

5. They keep the tap running in something called a dipper well so they can clean utensils. It's really got nothing to do with the pipes. I was a barista for 6 months and the little faucet by the machines was running all the time. They only keep the water running in that one sink all day. It's not like every sink behind the bar is running.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Yes I am. I am in mourning for the first sports team I ever truly loved. I am in mourning that we lost a team that is going to win maybe 20 games this season (that sounds really condescending). But dammit, they were our shitty team.

7. And it's not really a sink. It's like PoP said, a dipper well to hold spoons and thermometers and keep them clean because they are constantly used with drinks, milk pitchers, etc.

Believe me, the water is not "wasted."

8. Boom_70

You just can't make this stuff up folks:

Ethos Water is a brand with a social mission—helping children around the world get clean water and raising awareness of the World Water Crisis.

Every time you purchase a bottle of Ethos™ water, Ethos Water will contribute US $0.05 (C$0.10 in Canada) toward our goal of raising at least US $10 million by 2010.

Through The Starbucks Foundation, Ethos Water supports humanitarian water programs in Africa, Asia and Latin America. To date, Ethos Water grant commitments exceed $6.2 million. These programs will help an estimated 420,000 people gain access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene education.

Worldwide, nearly 1.1 billion people (roughly 20% of the global population) lack access to safe drinking water [1]. This crisis impacts children in the developing world most. In fact, out of the 2.2 million unsafe drinking water deaths in 2004, 90% were children under the age of five [2].

Ethos Water was founded in 2002 and acquired by Starbucks in 2005. By making Ethos™ water available in Starbucks coffeehouses, we hope to inspire and empower our customers to help children and their communities around the world get clean water.

To learn more about the mission of Ethos Water, please visit ethoswater.com.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And yet thousands of restaurants all over America manage to have clean utensils without leaving the tap running all day. Some investigation of modern hygienic practicies would do Starbuck's some good.

11. Those restaurants all over America aren't using those certain utensils the way Starbucks uses the select few at each espresso machine.

One big spoon is used with the milk in the pitchers, another to stir drinks and thermometers are used to monitor the temperature of the milk to ensure that it's not too hot or cold for the customer.

More often than not, the big spoon, smaller spoon and a thermometer is supposed to be used with every drink. If the well wasn't there, that would mean the barista would have to run to the back after EVERY drink and wash the spoons and thermometers. First of all, it doesn't make any sense. Secondly, try having to do that in a high-volume store with a line out the door and a drive-thru line all the way through the parking lot.

12. Boom_70

Wait till Al Gore and Bruce Springsteen find out about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted