1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Springsteen to perform at Super Bowl XLIII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Aug 12, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, I vote for Mariah Carey.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Figured you were going to come up with rap.
    And you're right. The NFL, NBC and the sponsors don't want 99.99% of the audience getting as far away from the TV as possible at halftime.

"Old school rap pioneers," is one of the funnniest expressions in the English language.

And what's a "medoly?"

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, I must have missed it.
    I thought Simon suggested Pearl Jam (possible), Chili Peppers (definitely would work) and Mariah (tired old act).

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

AC/DC.... especially with so much of their stuff as rote soundtrack at U.S. sports events

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's some other suggestions that I think could work if given the proper freedoms:

As mentioned above- Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Metallica.

Other 'legends' (as defined by my criteria above)- Garth Brooks, Jay Z, Madonna, Mariah Carey,

More contemporay- Kenny Chesney, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, Toby Keith

6. Simon_Cowbell

And Coldplay is definitely on deck

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'd agree they definately belong up there with the other contemporary selections. Though, I must say that if they were selected, I would go watch something else. Just a matter of personal taste.

That and I hate their new single.

8. HHDT

HHDT New Member

sooner or later the audience is going to change... so its only a matter of time... until then springsteen and his likes get top billing

lol.. yea old school rap pioneers is a little redundant..lol.. and its 'medley'... next time i guess i'll utilize that spell check

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No way on Coldplay. Oasis is definitely on-deck before Coldplay. Coldplay is Triple-A compared with Oasis.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Puhhlease.... Coldplay will play the SB 10 times before that happens

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Slipknot? Insane Clown Posse?

Pantera?[/hipallister]

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I see nothing wrong with Springsteen. He's made solid, quality music for a while -- and I say this as someone who isn't a fan or owns any albums. I've always respected him as an artist even though he's a little to vanilla for me.

Could be worse. Could be some dumb fuck country artist.

I would put a rapper on stage loooooooong before a country star.

Draft saved Draft deleted