1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Springsteen to perform at Super Bowl XLIII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Aug 12, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You don't understand. The idea is not to keep using these old people that none of the 20-somethings care about.

2. HHDT

HHDT New Member

who i want to see would never be able to perform....

but really what id like to see is more creativity in the selection process.. it seems the selection committee has taken the older 'safe' rocker route a bunch of times over the last couple of years...

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who would you want? The question is not that difficult.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought McCartney was darn good.[/bitemeoz ;) ]

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Did you see the Rock Honors show with The Who not too long ago? Pearl Jam knocked that shit out of the park and into McCovey Cove ...

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Springsteen is a terrific choice and is one of the few rock icons who still consistently puts out quality music rather than riding out his/her last days on past glory (*cough* Rolling Stones *cough*).

It's a shame that the set will only be 15 minutes or so, because it's going to blow the Stones, Prince and Petty out of the freaking water. As mentioned on the other thread, I think the only recent SB show that might compete is the U2 one from XXXVI.

And I agree with those of you that said the Chili Peppers would be a strong choice, but aside from those guys, who is big enough and has had such a storied career to warrant such a huge gig? Metallica maybe, but hard rock isn't likely coming from the NFL's premier gig anytime soon.

This ain't a gig for the flavor of the week. It's a gig that tries to find an artist worthy of such a large audience. The Stones, Petty, U2, and Prince all met the criteria. The Boss meets and exceeds it, baby.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's a gig that tries to find an artist worthy of such a large audience. The Stones, Petty, U2, and Prince all met the criteria. The Boss meets and exceeds it, baby.

They meet the criteria for the 40+ white guy demographic. For the rest of the country, not so much.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, poin, suggestions?

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm 23.

10. HHDT

HHDT New Member

personally id like to see a medoly of old school rap pioneers mixed with some current stars... but my tastes dont fit the target demographic, so springsteen it is

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Can't go with Mariah Carey because she might come out of her top. Madonna's risky, too.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I already gave it. You didn't like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted