1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Seattle P-I likely to close

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WazzuGrad00, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just high enough for you to get hurt.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good luck to all there. I've always liked the P-I. And as someone who has gone through a sale and in the middle of another one waiting to see what's going to happen, again, good luck. It sucks. The whole business does.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Make me an offer, and I'll see what I can do.

To sum up this day: Fuck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The thing is it's not a true sale. Nobody's going to buy it. You are right. The end is near. Can you imagine being one or two years into this career or in J School for goshsakes? Sad state of affairs.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you're in J-school or early in your career, you can switch majors or go back to school fairly easily. What's the problem?

Better than being 10 or 20 years into your career, and still 20 or 10 years away from retirement.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

This. Plus, you can still use a J-school degree for something. I doubled in magazines and history and have never worked for a day's pay in either field.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I concur. I concur like a motherfucker. :mad:

It's like you work your ass off for 20 years to become a top firefighter, and one day someone says, "Oh, because of the internet, there's not going to be fire anymore. Go do something else."

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's a link to the video.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/video/bcplayer.asp?bcpid=1543292903&bctid=6808758001

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Best Wishes to all going through this, been through a paper closing its doors before. Especially sad when you think all of the talented writers who have helped write "the Seattle story" for over a century.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm 12 years into my career at this point. I can't take on more debt to go back to school for something else. So what do I do? Stick it out or look for a job at Best Buy or something? I guess the best answer at this point is to stick it out and keep my eyes open for some other avenue to use my skill set.

12. Khartoum

Khartoum Active Member

It's because local TV and IntraWebz don't provide adequate coverage of local news at smaller cities like that. There's nowhere else to find out about town meetings, local issues, local sports. If/when newspapers die, the last ones standing will be the smaller ones -- suburban areas (ignored by the major metros) and small towns (terrible or non-existent TV news). You can find national and big-city news online or on CNN and MSNBC; but you can't find out about Central High's hoops team and your local tax issues there.

Draft saved Draft deleted