1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Sabathia heading to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree this is the start of another dark age for the Yankees, but I don't think they're going to go for Zito, even if all they have to spend is money. Would anyone care about Carl Pavano if he was on a one- or two-year deal? But the guys who fail on long-term deals generate far more negativity. Do the Yankees really want five years of "What's wrong with Zito?" dominating the back pages? I doubt it. Not to mention I don't think Zito could handle it.

And Oz, I'm not sure if we've talked about this before, but going for overslot kids is exactly the type of low-risk, high-reward risk that small-market teams should take. If he doesn't work out, so what? You're out a couple milllion dollars. I always get such a kick out of the small-market hawks (and I most certainly am not referring to you here) who are now using the draft as proof the Red Sox and Yankees have an unfair advantage over everyone else. "BUT HOW CAN THE SMALL-MARKET TEAMS AFFORD TO PAY JOE BLOW $1.5 MIL OUT OF PODUNK TECH? THEY'RE RUINING THE DRAFT TOO!!!" Yeah, that's awful. And $1.5 mil pays for about two weeks of Barry Zito.

Oh yeah, and Jake Long has $30 mil in his pocket before he even takes a snap. But remember: it's baseball that needs fixing. Football is perfect.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I loved the 1982 Brewers in particular.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You wasted 30,999 on THAT?

Would have been a perfect 31K.

Dooley = fail.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

At least they're getting this done early. The trade deadline also happens to be my birthday, and I usually look forward to the day to see what little surprises my Tribe has for me. Not this year. And Sabathia was gone the minute his agent shit down negotiations during spring training. I'm fine with it.

Last Indians hurler we thought we couldn't live without: Bartolo Colon. And all he brought us in trade was Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee et al. Go Tribe[/fanboi looser.]

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Deal to be announced at 11 a.m. CDT:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/07/sabathia-press-conference-at-11-a-m.aspx

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

And Brandon Phil- ... oh wait, nevermind. He doesn't work here anymore. D'oh.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

[​IMG]

How it feels to be a Brewers fan today....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's so nice when you guys have the entire big market-small market argument by yourselves. Saves the rest of us a lot of time. :)

I'm not sure this one really fits the argument at all, but we do have a poster who is obsessed with bringing it up on every single baseball thread, so there it is.

Yes, a small-market team gave up an elite prospect along with three others for a rental. The Brewers are dealing from strength to take a shot at winning now. If you really want to reach and draw the financial argument into it, maybe the the Brewers were more inclined to go all out now, and risk ending up with nothing for LaPorta, because the window of opportunity for a small-market team is relatively small.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going to argue that this was a bad deal. The Brewers are taking a risk because they feel like they can win now. Nothing wrong with that at all.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good move. The Brewers lose a good prospect but a) they need to take a shot this season; b) they have a relatively deep system, and c) they'll be getting more draft picks when they lose both Sheets and Sabathia in the fall, anyway.

10. As a Brewers fan, love the move.
    Jackie Z's been drafting the F out of baseball for years now. We can afford to give up a prospect, even if he is #1.

Haven't played a 183rd game in 26 years. F-ing go for it.

Bubbler: We absolutely most share bar space some time. First Leinie's on me.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has the Plain-Dealer caught up to this story yet?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I guarantee ya they ain't playing a 183rd game this year, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.