1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Sabathia heading to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To the Yankees, no. But to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Robin Yount, hell yeah, go for it. Not every team can be like the Yankees and make the playoffs (and not win the World Series ;D ) every year, like clockwork.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK, I understand what you're saying, but the Brewers had a great chance at going to the playoffs without Sabathia. I just don't think he's worth it, not for three months. If they could have signed him - even for two years - it would be worth it to me. But the possibility of trading your top prospect for a three month rental? That seems awfully scary to me.

If they win the World Series, well, who cares. If they don't, it may be looked back on as one of the worst trades in baseball history.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get over it. The Yankees can't get everyone. :D

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sure they can, they are the Yankees. They are a big market team, and big market teams can do whatever the fuck they want.

Seriously, though, fuck Sabathia. He is overweight and hasn't shown he cares to get in shape for the season. I don't care what he's done lately, he started out terrible this season, sucked in the playoffs and someone (please, not the Yankees) is going to regret giving him Santana/Zito money.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he were an Evan Longoria with the potential for Gold Glove-caliber guy in the field, I would agree. But the Brewers have plenty all-offense, no-defense prospects in their system, from LaPorta to Mat Gamel on down. And they still have Alcides Escobar ... they got some depth with prospects, might as well use it.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's why I said may.

Seriously, I don't know anything about the Brewers prospects, I was just pointing out it wouldn't make sense for the Yankees.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone WILL regret giving him the money, but if he goes to a big-market team, the small-market hawks will never see the forest for the trees. They'll cry that only the so-and-sos can afford to pursue the big names in free agency, conveniently forgetting that the track record for free agent pitchers who sign five- and six- and seven-year deals is pretty goddamn awful.

Sabathia will be just 28 when he hits free agency, and I think he could be a David Wells-type who pitches great despite being 350 lbs. But...that arm's got a lot of innings on it. And the Indians were clearly in who gives a fuck, won't be our problem come 2010 mode the last month or so. His pitch counts his last six starts: 119, 106, 112, 116, 116, 123. And, as Angola noted, he didn't exactly distinguish himself last October.

I hope someone in Cleveland points out how suddenly things changed: Nine-and-a-half months ago, he's on the mound, at home, in Game Five, with a chance to send the Indians to the World Series, where they probably would have beaten the Rockies. And now he's gone and the Indians look like the worst team on the planet.

Fucking small-market teams, they have no hope.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course it wouldn't make sense for the Yankees, Angola! ... they're waiting to pay him Zito money after the season. :D

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

They're also going to acquire Zito. Because they can!

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What's the dif? It's 1965, in any event . . . and with that new stadium in the pipeline, too.

Tsk, tsk.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I agree with you on big- and small-money teams (at least that's how I prefer to view them, because I think it's a more accurate reflection) here. For the most part.

Problem is, the Yankees and Red Sox have actually embraced fiscal responsibility, i.e. using those deep pockets to invest heavily in their farm systems, paying over-slot money and taking players who might not receive those same contracts from teams with more limited budgets. So now they've got cost-controlled talent from the system, which allows them to save and then splurge on whatever the need might be. And for the Yankees, that could be someone like Sabathia in the offseason.

Teams like the Rockies, Indians and Brewers, the margin for error is so much slimmer than it is for the Sox and Yanks.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That made me laugh, my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.