1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Sabathia heading to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just another example of small-market teams swooping in and acquiring the best pitcher on the market, competitiveness with big-market teams be damned.

Baseball is so very, very unfair. I am so tired of the Brewers always getting what they want from the Indians. Baseball needs a salary cap. Won't someone think of the Red Sox and Yankees?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I knew this post was coming sure as Starman loves Larry Brown. :D

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

As an Indians fan, it's depressing to see management officially wave the white flag on the season when we haven't even hit the all-star break, but the writing has been on the wall with this team for weeks. Amazing to think the Tribe went from first place to last in 36 games, but that's what injuries, a shitty bullpen and underachieving position players will do for you.

Hard to be too upset about them trading Sabathia, even after they spent all those years grooming him to be the staff ace (and yes, there were some really, really bumpy seasons through the first half of his career in Cleveland). They weren't going anywhere this season with him, so there was no point in keeping him here for the next three months when there were prospects to be had.

And this isn't the NBA, where teams have Bird rights in re-signing players. The Indians can still make the same offer to Sabathia in the offseason that they planned to while he was still on the team. Of course, that offer won't be nearly enough once the Evil Empire(s) start bidding, but hey, at least they got some prospects out of all this for their troubles.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was in Milwaukee when this broke Sunday, and WTMJ (the Brewers' flagship radio station) couldn't stop raving about it.

I went around Chicago on the tollway rather than through it, because I figured the north side was probably rioting about Hendry letting one get away. :)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

fuck you beej. the yankees, 9 games out and all, will now trade for brandon webb, edinson volquez and joakim soria. cause they are the yankees and they hold all the advantages.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Yankees have prospects?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was coming b/c it was well-fucking deserved. I cannot wait to hear the small market spinsters try to explain why this is a bad move. I can guess at it but I'm going to pop some popcorn and wait for the feeble attempt.

Fortunately, most of the small market spinsters have been shamed into silence. Crazy thing about facts and the Devil Rays being on pace to win 100-odd games. Alas, it's only most of the small market spinsters silenced.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sabathia would have been a bad fit in that clubhouse. It's the smallest in the league already.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Cubs may have a lot of money, but they wouldn't once Sabathia is done eating the clubhouse spread after a nine-game homestand.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

To this day I still can't believe CC Sabathia and Bob Wickman fit in the same clubhouse.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm curious how small market-big market plays out in a rental trade. It involves prospects to give up, not money to spend. The Brewers are only going to have the guy for three months; not much of a salary commitment there.

Now when it comes to signing Sabathia for big bucks in the offseason, let's see who steps up to the plate.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

F_T, you know it's not the early part of this decade anymore, right? The Yankees have some fantastic prospects and if they weren't going to trade them for Johan Santana, which probably cost them a playoff spot this season, then they sure as hell won't trade them for C.C. Sabathia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.