1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Pro Bowl to be held before the Super Bowl, beginning in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't think so.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Instead of a pro bowl they should play the quarterback challenge or skills competition, or have the current players, play some retired players in flag football or something. Anything worth watching.

You could have a game with like a bunch of current pros vs. Barry Sanders, Keyshawn Johnson, Flutie and some others, or something. Anything is better than the pro bowl.

BTW, that QB skills competition was always fun to watch.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Everyone is saying the SB players won't show up. What about the guys that just lost in the Championship games.

Let's see: I just lost a close game in the NFC title game. It's Monday. I'm sore as hell from four and a half months of football. I'm bitter because I just missed out on making the Super Bowl.

What's the last thing I feel like doing?

If you guessed "play a meaningless All-Star game six days later," you're right.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good call. An all-star game minus players from the best four teams. Why not just have the Browns and Rams play and call it a weekend?

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

If you take out the players from the final four teams last year, these players would've been missing:

Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Chad Clifton, Aaron Kampman, Osi Umenyiora and Al Harris from the NFC.

Tom Brady, LT, Lorenzo Neal, Randy Moss, Antonio Gates, Matt Light, Marcus McNeil, Logan Mankins, Kris Dielman, Dan Koppen, Vince Wilfork, Jamal Williams, Mike Vrabel, Shawne Merriman, Asante Samuel, Antonio Cromartie and Kassim Osgood from the AFC.

The AFC would've been left without seven of 11 offensive starters, five of the 11 offensive linemen, two of its four defensive tackles, two of three OLB and two of three CB.

That means the AFC team would have had to choose almost all new guys at some positions. It takes it from a glorified all-star game to a glorified good players game, and the Pro Bowl somehow becomes even more meaningless than it already is.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd rather they bring back the Bert Bell Benefit Bowl. Last year's would've been a dandy game.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think that's a terrible fucking idea. [/Robert Edwards]

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . attempting to apply lipstick to a pig of a game which eschews hitting, as a featured event of a game which thrives on it . . .

Titanic, deck chairs, etc.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder why that reference sounds familiar to me.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have a team of NFL all stars play a team of college all stars. (They did something of the sort in the 60s). Could be a showcase for the college players, and the NFL guys might have a little incentive to win the game to avoid embarrassment.

And yes, I hear the pussified outcry on the fear of injury factor and the hundred thousand voices that scream it can never happen. It's still an all star game where the hitting's not going to be quite the extreme of the regular competition.

Or perhaps, make the NFL team that finished with the worst record play a college all star team. Might be an incentive to avoid finishing dead last.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What about freshmen-sophomores, like the NBA?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I like that one, though I'm thinking that would draw even less attention from fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted