1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Pro Bowl to be held before the Super Bowl, beginning in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl, to be held at the Super Bowl site.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3798734

Probably would put a bit more interest into the game ... a bit.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they would be playing without any players from the Super Bowl participants, further weakening the talent level in the game that is already limited because so many players drop out.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Could be worse. They could try to draw a page from other professional sports leagues and give every team a Week 9 bye week and play the Pro Bowl then...

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And without the all-expense-paid vacation in Hawaii, even more are going to skip it now.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know why they even bother at this point. Why not just pick the teams, send everybody who makes it a little plaque and move on? The game usually sucks and players don't really want to take a chance on getting hurt.

I'm a football junkie and I don't even bother watching any more.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It might not be enough to save the pro-bowl, but it's a great idea, even without the SB players. Players will come because everyone wants an excuse to be a big shot during SB week.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd much prefer to have the college title game held at the same stadium as the Super Bowl, in the week prior. Who cares about the Pro Bowl?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This Goddell Idea will fail.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

They changed the Chicago Charities College All-Star Game? What?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It actually makes a lot of sense. Gives people something to talk about in the weeks in between the championship games and the Super Bowl, gets a lot of players to the Super Bowl site and might give them a few more opportunities to be paid to attend corporate gigs, the Super Bowl participants largely begged off the Pro Bowl anyway.
    Maybe they can make it so the winning Pro Bowl conference determines which is the "home" team in the Super Bowl.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The NFL's thinking on the Pro Bowl changed when Goddell took over. His point was, "If the Super Bowl is the culmination of our season, why are we playing another game a week later?"

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Adding another month off between games would make for some quality football.

Draft saved Draft deleted