1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Penn St Contacts Urban Meyer to Replace JoePa

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Penn State officials reportedly have reached out to former Florida coach Urban Meyer to express interest in his taking over for Joe Paterno when the Nittany Lions` football coach decides to step down.

University officials contacted Meyer on Sept. 25, according to Sports RappUp, a website that covers Ohio State athletics.

Meyer met with Penn State president Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley about the job while in University Park during the preseason, the website reported.

Meyer will be part of the ABC broadcast crew calling Penn State`s game against Iowa today. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_760826.html?_s_icmp=NetworkHeadlines

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It would be a great hire if they can get it. But why do this unless JoePa has announced that he is retiring in the next season or two? How long is Urban Meyer going to be willing to wait until JoePa decides he has had enough?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can't take an Ohio State website breaking this story real seriously.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder if Penn State floated this (ridiculous) story out to help with recruiting. Hear me out here. The Paterno question is just going to get louder and louder as the years pass, but if people mistakenly pick Urban Meyer as the successor, maybe it'll stem some of the losses.

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I'm an Ohio State fan and I've never heard of that site.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Skiptomylou1-9 goes away and Deeper_Background comes back.

HMMMMM

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"SportsRappUp" doesn't exactly inspire a lot of credulity, but I would certainly not be in the least bit surprised if PSU picks one of the "titanic trinity" of currently-voluntarily-retired coaches -- Meyer, Dungy or Cowher -- to replace JoePa when his time comes, as it will soon.

8. If this is true it would be an awesome steal for PSU ... but I don't believe it.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When the time comes, State College, Pa., will not be particularly happy with the choice. And it won't be one of the "titanic trinity."

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I once heard Penn State was looking at K.C. Keeler from UD as a potential JoePa replacement. Would they go down a level to make a hire?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd be thrilled with Galen Hall. Insert sarcasm font here.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Al Golden's name has been thrown around for at least five years in Happy Valley, much to the chagrin of the bulk of the fan base up until the last year or two. I can't imagine him turning down a chance to coach his beloved alma mater, and the Shapiro scandal should make the choice even easier.

Tom Bradley or Jay Paterno, though, would draw ire from the fans, I think. People would like a somewhat clean break.

And hey, Galen Hall is 14 years younger than JoePa.

Draft saved Draft deleted