1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: MLB Seeking to Suspend 20 Players Including...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 4, 2013.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Bringing up Shayam Das is silly. He made the proper decision based on the failure to follow the procedure. Without following procedure exactly, the case had to be thrown out because it's way too slippery of a slope if you don't follow the technicalities.

Das got fired because he disagreed with MLB. MLB's "arbiter" will get fired for being anything other than their puppet.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't blame him for defending himself, but when you go into that Lance Armstrong level of attacking your accusers when you know you're guilty, you start to fall into the "one of the biggest douches ever" category.

He dodged one. If another one is coming at him, he only has himself to blame.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep, this.

He's a miserable human being. A cheater. A liar. Nice to see him not getting away with it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am reading some stories suggesting that MLB will, if things play out, bypass the 50-game suspension route for some of these players. Anyone here familiar with how that could be kosher?

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I'll agree that he cheated and is a douchebag, but they still fucked up the process royally, not just with the actual sample, but with the releasing of the names and confidential info. It would be irrelevant if they had done things as designed.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

They're claiming there is precedent because of the minor league who got a 100-gamer. I don't see how that holds up given that he isn't protected by the CBA. No fucking way the union lets them bypass the 50 games. I just can't see that going down. Nor do I understand why they'd want to rape their relationship with the union by doing that.

7. Dick Whitman

Yes, both of these things are true.

8. Dick Whitman

It's just a negotiating ploy.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's absolutely on Braun. He's the cheating piece of shit who loaded up on synthetic testosterone and got caught. If he doesn't cheat the tester doesn't have his name needlessly dragged thru the mud for doing his job.

Don't agree with that either. The procedure was so poorly worded in the testing agreement to begin with that Braun's legal team was able to exploit it.

There was no malicious intent at all on the part of the tester and absolutely no evidence the sample was tampered with. Which leaves us with two possible conclusions:

1. Ryan Braun is a PED-fueled freak.

2. Ryan Braun has magic urine that can create synthetic testosterone out of thin air when placed in a sealed, tamper-proof container.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I'd still say the same thing. If Das let him get off based on poorly or ambiguously worded procedure, he's still doing his job as an arbiter and making the proper decision. He got fired for taking the other side. That's comical, regardless of Braun's wrongdoing. He made the decision he did because of badly MLB fucked up the process from the beginning. It was the right call.

They clearly hired someone expected to be a puppet and he got fired for being analytical.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course, it probably should be noted that the way the drug tester handled Braun's test was unprofessional and lacked integrity.

Also, Shyam Das was widely considered the best arbitrator baseball has ever had, so I kind of discount ACQB's critique based on the fact that he doesn't have a clue as to what took place and what evidence was presented in that arbitration.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't care if players take PED's and I do think he should have had his suspension overturned, MLB fucked up the procedure. My bigger issue is with the people who believe he was framed, it's delusional fanboy BS.

Draft saved Draft deleted