1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: MLB Seeking to Suspend 20 Players Including...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 4, 2013.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sure they were buying legal supplements from this clinic, of course they were. Someone also tampered with Braun's test, the French were out to get Armstrong and Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Also, next year is the year for the Leafs. ;D

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm with you. Union strong. Union all day long. :D

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gee, why would that be?

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I love when more Yankees get caught up in dirt.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Tony,

It's not a matter of whether something is legal in the criminal sense or not. Being a professional athlete is a voluntary undertaking and when you sign that contract you are agreeing to play by the established rules. That includes what you can or cannot take.

So, just because a substance is on the list of banned substances by MLB doesn't make it illegal. Different standards. But MLB has every right to enforce its rules that were drawn up in an effort to create a level playing field.

It's just like it's not illegal for me to drink alcohol. But if my employer has a policy against drinking while on the clock, I certainly could be fired for violating that policy.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I say legal, I'm speaking in the sense of the MLB drug policy, not US or state laws. In other words, supplements that are not banned by MLB.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ken Rosenthal checks in and echoes my thoughts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tony-bosch-biogenesis-ryan-braun-alex-rodriguez-will-word-be-enough-to-bring-suspensions-060413

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Most certainly, Bosch's testimony will ultimately establish Braun's innocence.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, not only os Bosch's credibility shaky to begin with, he would be contradicting his own public statements if he said anything to incriminate Braun.

Based on that MLB is going for a second offense, 100-game suspension? Man, they are desperate to get revenge for looking bad. Almost as desperate as A_QB is.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

So wait a second. If they give Braun a second offense, won't they have to give A-Rod a third offense, thus banning him from baseball? How happy would that make the Yankees?

This whole thing is a mess to me. I think Braun cheated his ass off, but I just don't see the case against him. It hinges on a notebook scribblings and a guy testifying after he's been threatened with lawsuits? I can't see this getting by the players union. There will be a shit storm of appeals. I don't see any way this holds up in a real court, where it will certainly wind up if they do suspend them.

Unless Bosch offers real, solid, irrefutable evidence, I think Braun and the rest of the players will win any appeal.

On another note, as I've said for years, just green light all the drugs and let it go.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want the Yankees to grow some balls and try to have A-Fraud's contract voided.

It will never happen. But it would be a lot of fun if it did.

Draft saved Draft deleted