1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: MLB Seeking to Suspend 20 Players Including...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 4, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This isn't just about Braun. MLB is trying to get 20 players with the testimony of someone they call a criminal.

2. old_tony

Congress might have to step in and exercise the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause in that case.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, criminals are never used as informants.

I'm sure Braun and the rest are clean and will have no problem refuting the criminals testimony.

So what exactly were these 20 players doing with this clinic?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Solid point there.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Braun deserves 50 games, not 100 games. That's the way the rules are drawn up. MLB doesn't have the right to go Dean Wormer-style double-secret probation. MLBPA will cornhole them up the ass for trying.

Not sure why MLB would want tempt a procedural issue with Braun when they had so much luck the first time around. Not sure why MLB is inviting a protracted PR hit when they can levy the 50-game suspensions -- which will hurt just as badly as 100 games will for the players in the court of public opinion -- and be done with it.

Most of all, I'm not sure why MLB wants to fuck up the goodwill its built in the post-Fehr era with MLBPA. Despite these drug scandals, the game is more harmonic than its been in years. Why fuck that up?

I also find it deeply hilarious that noted union stalwart O_T is on MLBPA's side and others who are not noted for their management sympathies are out for their piece of worker flesh. :D

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm only half-kidding when I say I eagerly await the Brewers' logo with a syringe in place of the piece of barley.

And you can fuck off for doing so! :D

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. old_tony

Who knows? The clinic sold a lot of products. Many, I'm sure, that you could buy at your local GNC. From what I've read, Gio Gonzalez is supposedly exonerated because stuff he bought there is perfectly legal.

Do you know what the other 19 bought? Do you know that Braun's connection to the clinic is anything other than what's been revealed so far -- consulting for his case last year?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, that's a great idea. You're lucky I suck at Photoshop. ;D

10. old_tony

No more hilarious than all the anti-management, pro-union types doing their flip-flop. Only my contention is strictly based on due process.

And the fact that none of these 20 cases is being supported by a confirmed positive test certainly bolsters my side. Suspensions for nothing more than having had dealings with a clinic that most certainly sold plenty of perfectly legal products sure doesn't sound kosher.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You probably believed that Armstrong was framed as well?

12. old_tony

So your answer to my questions is obviously "no."

Noted.

Draft saved Draft deleted