1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Marbury says he'll play in Italy when Knicks deal expires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He's going to be a star in Italy. The guy is still a pretty good ball player.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't know. He has to play differently. Everyone shots over there. He cannot give his guy an inch. It's not that the guy will dribble drive past him, but he will cut backdoor or drill any jumper he gets if Marbury looks the other way.

It's more paying attention D when you guy does not have the ball. Not playing D when he gets the ball.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Steph is still living off a rep he had when he was at Georgia Tech, he's not anywhere near the asshole that a lot of other guys are. He said he was going to try to repair his image and he's backed up his talk, which I know upsets a lot of the cynics who still want to slam him for shit he did while he was in high school. He may not have done a full 180 but definitely a solid 135.

As for Italy, hell it worked for Marvin Hagler and he would be the biggest name for that league. Why not try it if he wants. If I could live in Italy right now, I would.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That's how we'll reclaim global basketball superiority. Export "our game" to foreign countries.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's no genius, but I thought that some of the interviews that he's given have been pretty impressive. Now if we can work on keeping the other PG in front of him, that would be great too.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Integration NOW, Integration FOREVER

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The European game is so different than the American game, I don't know if he would thrive over there. A point guard from my old college is playing in Italy right now, and he was pretty solid ball handling and shooting wise, but they don't appreciate the "gamesmanship" over there. They prefer a slower tempo, more deliberate game, and he tells me that adapting is one of the hardest things to do. This is why I have doubts with Marbury. Even though the old PG is not the same caliber as Marbury, the game is still the same.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And there's nothing more fun than hearing him talk about it... high as a kite!

http://gothamist.com/2007/07/06/can_someone_mak.php

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fuggeddaboutit!

10. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Marbury might wanna consider that he'll be playing under International Rules over there, he's never looked worse than he did in 02 WCs and 04 Olympics playing under International Rules, which tends to give more favor to the passing game and less to penetration, isolation, 1 on 1 type stuff. In other words, just the opposite of Starbury ball.

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

He didn't seem that bad in this for the 1st few minutes right up until he gets the cell phone call mid-interview, after which the crazy comes pouring out.

And, did I understand that correctly, was he talking about how he loves to feel his SISTER'S body and her soul, and is "delighted to be kissing her"? WTF was that?

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He also scored 31 points (a USA basketball record) in their only notable win of the 2004 Olympics, a victory over Spain. He also shot better than any other guard on the team (30-of-71)and led the team in assists. Carmelo (a solid 7-for-28), Wade (21-of-55) and Jefferson (18-of-56) all looked much much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted