1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Lebron going back to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No question it's better.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What if you're informed the Love has no intention of staying in Cleveland beyond the last year of his contract?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's still a major "fuck you" to Wade, who would never had opted out of $40-some million over the next two seasons had he known LeBron was going somewhere else.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I think Love has said he would sign a longterm deal if it means playing with LeBron.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Wade would have opted out anyway. He's going to get a 4-year deal with Miami for a total of $55-60 million. That's more than if he would have made 40 over the next two then hit free agency as a 34-year-old, at which point he'd be lucky to get $5 million per.

He'll probably get a bigger contract in Miami without Lebron because the team won't want to lose him, too.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If, hypothetically, I knew for a fact wouldn't re-sign, of course that would make a difference.

But I don't think that's gonna happen if he's playing on a team with Lebron and Irving. Especially after all those years wallowing with no supporting cast in Minnesota and knowing he'll likely never get a better chance to win championships than this.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I'm not so sure about that. If Bosh goes to Houston and LeBron goes to Cleveland, you think Riley is going to want Wade on the books for the next 4-5 years at $10-$12 million per?

Anything is possible, but I think if Wade thought LeBron was leaving, he would not have opted out. But, if LeBron was unsure, as I'm sure was the case, Wade probably didn't want to be the reason he didn't come back.

I don't look at this as LeBron fucking Wade over. I look at it as LeBron doing what is best for him, and I don't really fault him for that.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I just saw something that said LeBron went straight from Vegas to Brazil for the World Cup? Is it possible this shit will drag out until next week?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can report with authority that the LeBron James website is loading slowly.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a way in the world James goes back to Cleveland.

The reaction from Cleveland media/fans will be off the wall hysterics either way.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Even if it's just for one year, hell yeah. Except for the 76ers, it's always about this year. But for the future, you have the cap space to sign someone good the next year, and who isn't going to look at playing with LeBron and Irving?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Chances are the salary cap will be going up appreciably in a couple years when money from new TV agreements filters down. By then the team will be able to eat a $10-12 million salary a little easier. The team is helped the next two years because they will only have Wade count that much instead of the $20 mill it would have. Wade is a Miami guy like Jeter is a Yankee. There's more value there than just production.

Draft saved Draft deleted