1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: IU Fires Sampson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Parrish now says (well reiterates) that Sampson is suspended for the season, but adds that the players (shock!) backed off their threat:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10661089

Oh, and F_B, please find me a fan base where a great many of them are not idiots. ;)

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

They had him at "hello."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well played

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From the Herald-Times blog:

Athletic director Rick Greenspan told the Indiana team today that Kelvin Sampson will be suspended and Dan Dakich will serve as interim coach, according to a family member of an IU player and a source who spoke with an IU player.
    H-T reporter Chris Korman spoke with both of these sources. He does not have further details about the suspension.
    Sampson’s contract specifies that he would be suspended without pay - pending an appeal process - if Greenspan makes a recommendation to fire him for cause, but we do not know if that has happened.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ah, no he didn't.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who did? He had it up at night, it was the first thing posted here and we did a pretty thorough scan afterward because the story had some bearing on my former paper (Anthony Grant). If someone else had it, they did a real shitty job getting it out there.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I believe Orlando broke it ... You might find this hard to believe, but some papers don't spend a lot of time patting themselves on the back for scoops. They go out and get the next one.

9. JBHawkEye

Indianapolis Star says Jamarcus Ellis was the player who walked out of the meeting Thursday night.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS0601/802220520

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not talking about patting on the back, I'm talking about getting it online. You might find it hard to believe, 'do, but I spent a few years in papers and know how it works.

Orlando did not have it before Goodman. And I'm an Orlando lover, not hater. You just said "I believe." Your previous post definitively said Goodman did not have it. That indicates you know who did and it doesn't sound like you do.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Good lord ... the more I read on this, the more I want the 12 best intramural players from IU to finish the season.

12. JBHawkEye

Latest from the Herald-Times blog:

After all the talk and reports today about press conferences, an IU official has told us a press conference is tentatively scheduled for 6 p.m.
    We are expecting that IU will announce that Kelvin Sampson has resigned and accepted a buyout package - as the university appeared to be working on this afternoon - or that he has been suspended as part of a recommendation to fire him.
    We’ll update this story as details can be confirmed.

Draft saved Draft deleted