1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: IU Fires Sampson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Nothing can stop that now." [/darthvader]

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What if that idiot player is Eric Gordon? He's Sampson's boy, and the focal point of the team. You think Indiana is going to throw away a potential Big Ten regular season and tournament title when all they need to do is fire Sampson after the season once Gordon's declared for the draft?

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that move worked out really well for us.

Sincerely,
    Rob Cheeks, Patricio Prato, Marques Green, et al.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

As an IU fan, I'll be pissed if they don't fire the dumbass. If Eric Gordon and 11 others want to go with him, so be it.

Suit up 12 walk-ons, finish the season getting thumped, whatever. But do it fucking honestly.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't think a majority of Hoosier fans feel that way. There might be a lot of them pissed at Sampton. But they love the position this team is in right now, and I think chasing a Big Ten title is more important to them than doing the right, or smart, thing.

They don't realize what a mess that program will be in if this is allowed to drag out until the summer.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1641#comments

The player involvement has definately turned this story toward the ugly. The newest rumor is that, in addition to threatening to walk, the players have voiced preference for Ray McCallum over Dakich (the university's choice) as interim coach. The distinction being that McCallum has been with Sampson since his Oklahoma days and was around when the illegal phone calls were happening; whereas Dakich didn't show up until this season and is a former Knight guy with a squeaky clean reputation.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What's McCallum ever done in his basketball career {/ducking from bubbler}

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm just happy Sampson made it to today so my headline, Call Waiting, survived for posterity.

10. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I'm oversimplifying it a bit but I think it's very generational. The students and younger fans couldn't care less about the allegations and want the season to continue with Sampson. Many older generation IU fans would play with a team from the rec center for the rest of the season if it meant getting rid of Sampson.

The fan base at IU has gone from one of the closest knit in sports to one of its most divided during the last decade. Truly remarkable.

11. And a very great many of them are idiots.

12. KP

KP Active Member

It's always all about the MAC!
    Dakich would have that team quit on him in about 7.3 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted