1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Domi to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Are we talking about who is now the NHL heavy weight champ? or are we talking about the leagues most antagonistic, scrappy tough guy? I think it's been a long time since Domi could be considered the league's heavyweight champ, but I think he fit the other category quite well.

The best heavyweights:
    1) McGratton – becase of his willingness to drop the gloves and his overall ability in a fight.
    2) Laraque – I would say the toughest fighter in the league, and would be number one, except he hardly fights anymore, we'll see if Gretz lets him run free because Mac T certainly didn't.
    3) Derek Boogaard – Big and intimidating at 6'7" and 270 pounds, also very willing
    4) Andre Roy – very capable in tossing the knuckles when called upon
    5) Donald Brashear – will never get respect from me. Too much of a chicken shit when he fights any of the big boys. pulls on the seat belt and never lets go.

Best antagonistic guys who can fight
    1) Sean Avery – and it isn't even close
    2) Matthew Barnaby – can fight when he decides he wants too, turtles way too much
    3) Brendan Morrow – tough, gets under the other player's skin, but can also handle himself in a tussle. Also a solid all round hockey player.
    4) Darren McCarty – old guard, but still one of the best at what he does.
    5) Darcy Tucker – one of the league's most hated men, but usually answers the call.

These are my top 5 anyways, based on current standings, not history. Thoughts?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Zdeno Chara doesn't fight much but he'd be right up there. He's a dangerous guy because of his size and his wrestling background (just ask Bryan McCabe).

Another guy who can really play and fight a little bit: Jarome Iginla.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Iginla is a great fighter, although I didn't put him on the list because that is not supposed to be his job. I was also impressed with Beauchemine's fighting ability with Anaheim.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd add Steve Ott in Dallas to any list of shit disturbers who can play and fight.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't forget Chris Neil of Ottawa. :)

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

See I didn't know where to put Neil, I figured McGratten had him covered.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Langer was a great second-half fighter. After opponents would tire themselves out throwing (and missing) wild punches, Langdon would beat them into submission.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No surprise there. He's a Newfie. Never seen one yet who didn't get tougher as the fight went on.

9. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. Neil had to fight all comers before, but McGrattan is a legit heavyweight and Neil can stick to the middleweight ranks while potting some goals.

11. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight....

[​IMG] was sleeping with [​IMG]??

???

Well that certainly gives me hope. ;D

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Helluva fight tonight in an exhibition game between McGrattan and Toronto's Brad Brown.

Draft saved Draft deleted