1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: CBS Announcer Greg Anthony Arrested In Prostitution Sting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WCIBN, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And I brought up rape because that's the point where the anti-bodily autonomy crowd's argument falls apart.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wrong. Many who oppose abortion in the majority of instances understand exceptions of rape and incest, along with complications that could threaten the mother's life.
    Others challenge the notion that even rape or incest necessitate killing a life. Many have brought such babies to term.
    You're cherry-picking. And I'm done pursuing just this argument, a small part of my overall point that liberals and Dems exhibit all sorts of hypocrisy -- and yet, hypocrisy somehow qualifies as worse than having no/low standards, period.

old_tony likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Which of those describes your position? Are you pro- or anti-rape/incest exemption?

I'd also disagree heavily that wishing to allow women to have control over their own bodies constitutes "no/low standards."

Finally, your argument that legalized abortion is some sort of liberal plot to reduce the minority population deserves to be mocked much more roundly than it has been.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Google Margaret Sanger.

I'm guessing she'd be pretty pleased with herself:

In 2010, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 138,539 black babies were aborted.

Thankfully, abortion is on the decline in America, down 3 percent between 2007 and 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Strikingly, the number of surgical abortion clinics has plummeted, from 2,176 in 1991 to 551 today. Nevertheless, the CDC report that in 2010, a staggering 765,651 abortions were performed in the United States. Black women continue to have the highest abortion rate of any ethnic group, with a gruesome 483 abortions for every 1,000 live births.

The bottom line? I’ll say it again: 138,539 black babies, nearly one baby in three, were killed in the womb in 2010. According to the CDC, between 2007 and 2010, innocent black babies were victimized in nearly 36 percent of the abortion deaths in the United States, though blacks represent only 12.8 percent of the population.

J. KENNETH BLACKWELL: Black abortions a crisis in America - Washington Times

Joe Williams likes this.
  5. Big Circus

It's a legal procedure, and women, including minority women, have availed themselves of it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't say otherwise.

But, the fact is that the founder of what became Planned Parenthood was a proponent of eugenics. And, African-Americans are aborted at a rate that is much higher than whites.

So, mock the idea if you'd like. And, maybe in 2015 no plot exists. But the goals set forth in the 1920s have been realized.

Joe Williams likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

According to the CDC, there were 636,425 black children born in 2010. If there were 138,539 abortions of black fetuses in that year, that means there were 774,964 pregnancies that ended in either a live birth or abortion (this figure excludes stillbirths, miscarriages or tubal pregnancies, as I could not find appropriate data on these events). This means that, at most, approximately one in six (17 percent) pregnancies among black women ended in abortion (which again, does not account for other birth outcomes), nowhere close to the one in three Blackwell states.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

YF, this guy was a huge supporter of the Birth Control Federation of America, the predecessor of Planned Parenthood . I never considered him a proponent of eugenics -- just someone who understood the need for family planning and birth control. Nor did I think that of his son, who had the nickname "Rubbers" when he served in Congress. But if you think Planned Parenthood is some big plot to wipe out African Americans, I guess I'll have to reconsider.
    prescottbush-t.001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted