1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Browns hire Mangini

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Jan 7, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, so here goes. And keep in mind, this is coming as an unabashed fangirl, not as a purveyor of all that is right and good about the NFL.

From the story on ESPN.com earlier:

Now, Belichick could have been the biggest prick on the planet, and even sucked at his job, and he still would have gotten some slack. Cleveland fans are that sick for the Browns. But his abject lack of respect for the entire organization, the fans, and the team itself cost him dearly. The death knell for his relationship there was cutting Kosar in the middle of the season. He was toast.

So seeing Mangini, who apparently does have some respect for Cleveland, for the team, for the writers, is a nice change from that.

Secondarily, the Browns haven't hired someone with NFL head coaching experience in FOREVER. I'm not a big fan of some of the retreads, but I'm good with this hire. I feel like they've got it right, I think he's tougher than Crennel so he won't lose the locker room, and I'm excited for the first time in a long time to be a Browns fan. Not saying I expect them to pull a Dolphins-like turnaround...but I'm happy with it.

Viva la Mangenius!

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'd rather have Mangini than the younger Mora we have up here.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

seriously? after how mangini cost the seahawks a loss?

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Well there is that, I am not sold on either of them as being great coaches. But after reading a story in the PI about Mora and how the players like him maybe he will work well. Plus he might be here for the long haul.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mangini is one of the least inspiring coaches I've ever observed. Have fun Brown fans.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

As a matter of fact, they haven't hired someone with previous head coaching experience since Nick Skorich, who ran the team from 1971-74. He's the only coach in team history to have head coaching experience elsewhere before coming to the Browns.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What he did in the Seattle game should have made him radioactive.

Those weren't a couple of small errors.... that was a small mindset.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It could be worse. They could have decided to throw $6-$7 million a year to get someone like Stoops of Meyer. Cleveland fans would be excited until the third week in September when they discover that they still suck.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That franchise is in Baltimore now, so I'm not sure he should count. I don't care about the name and the "official" records. The current team in Cleveland is an expansion franchise.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, they're about take something back from Baltimore when they hire Kokinis (sp?) as GM.

I don't have a problem with either hire.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My "forever" was more meant in a "holy crap has it been a long time" because I didn't feel like doing research on anyone before Schottenheimer. :D

12. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Say what you want about the hire. Waiting for the rat to get back from vacation would be asinine. If he cared about getting another job, he would have interviewed before going on vacation that obviously wasn't planned because he'd probably banked on making the playoffs three weeks ago.
    Take into account that this guy is now coaching in his dream job on a team he was a ball boy for. The Jets weren't a great team the last three seasons, but he should not have been fired, it was a rash decision by a team that cares more about what the media says and what the fans think than they do about running a competent organization. One thing I'll say about the Browns, is they don't listen to the outside voices, whether they're right or wrong, and I'd rather have a team that makes decisions based on their knowledge rather than what their spelling-bee-champion fans think they should do.
    And if Mangini sucks, then who gives a shit, it's not like the Browns expect to be good anyway.
    Woof woof. Wake me up on draft day.

Draft saved Draft deleted