1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Bonds flunked drug test

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mark Sweeney was prety small after all that andro.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Little ridiculous!?! How about "complete and utter bullshit."

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I think you'd have to be able to do steroids to "throw a teammate under the bus," don't you think? Oh, you guys are just using a cliche. Never mind.

You notice that Sweeney's agent doesn't deny that there were greenies in his locker. He simply is denying that he gave Bonds anything. That will teach melonhead not to pilfer the lockers of teammates. OK, probably not.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised he didn't blame Miguel Tejada.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Mitch A. and slappy theorize about the Constitution and what it really should say during their sessions.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Besides the whole throwing your teammate under the bus thing, this news makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheaters.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes we do. How astute of you to notice.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Poor Sweeney? Come on, man, don't be that naive. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Barry did take it from his locker (though I'm sure he knew what he was taking ... nobody just grabs random pills and swallows them).

This was the part of the story that bothers me:
    "According to the newspaper, Sweeney learned of the Bonds' positive test from Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Orza told Sweeney, the paper said, that he should remove any troublesome substances from his locker and should not share said substances."

Sweeney said there was nothing in his locker to worry about (probably right before he raced to the clubhouse to clear out his shit), but the fact that Orza said that to him really bothers me.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, Bonds would have you believe he didn't knowingly take anything illicit

That lends credence what some have believed all along: That the union was in lockstep on the whole looking the other way thing.

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

The agent did deny that that there were Greenies in his locker.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Now Bonds is saying he didn't amphetamines from Sweeney, but doesn't deny a report that he tested positive for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted