1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: 93 Oilers had two openly gay players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Which is why sooooo many athletes have come out recently.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's my hypothesis that an active, major-sport male athlete in the beginning or prime of his career hasn't come out -- at least, not to the public -- not merely because he is afraid of being hated by fans, but because he does not want the attention, nor the pressure of being the First Official Gay Spokesman on everything sports.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They'll make it seem like it would, but until an active star in one of the major sports does it, I don't think we'll be to properly gauge the impact.

Just for argument's sake, if Brett outed himself today and said teammates knew and he had no issue when he was playing, what does that prove?

There have been plenty of gay players in all of the major sports and in a lot of cases, teammates, coaches, the beat writers all know...

It's hard to know if Jason Collins' revelation had any impact on his not being signed. I'm guessing it didn't.

Kerry Rhodes is the more interesting story, because by most accounts he's still a very capable player and could contribute on a lot of teams. I don't think teams care about having a gay player, but they don't want the distraction of having the first openly gay player.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Wasn't this also the year Buddy Ryan and Gilbride went after it?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know what stinks about the teams' supposed justification? Well it is an automatic out card for never having such a player.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Correct.

7. Mizzougrad96

Right. It's why the best scenario would be the one Ayanbadejo spoke about earlier this year, where several players come out at the same time.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss this Rhodes guy coming out? Or is that just another one of those "things" everyone "knows," like the George Brett stuff (wink wink those in the know really know wink wink)

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Be funny if it turned out that Joe D was gay. Afterall he did live in San Francisco.

10. Mizzougrad96

Rhodes had the deal earlier this year where there were suggestive photos of him with another guy all over the Internet and then magically a guy who was a pretty damn good safety last season, goes without so much as a workout for the 2013 season.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The blog entry "outing" Rhodes apparently got deleted, but here's one of the photos:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Doesn't help with a name like "Kerry". He should change his first name to
    "Dirt". Now that would be cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted