1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: 93 Oilers had two openly gay players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have a very strong hunch who one of them is, but it's interesting that the players accepted it, and I wonder if that would be true today.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/12/two-members-of-1993-oilers-were-gay-teammates-knew-didnt-care/?cmpid=hpts

“Listen, those guys that we’re talking about were unbelievable teammates. And if you wanted to go to war with someone, you would get those guys first. Because I have never seen tougher guys than those guys,” said Pro Bowl linebacker Lamar Lathon, who starred at the University of Houston

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jeff Alm, I'm guessing?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has even tried to deny that when the subject has come up.

The urban legend regarding his crash is a doozy.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not who I was referring to. Not sure I've heard the rumor about Alm. Sounds vaguely familiar.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The Frank Reich game was God's way of punishing them.

/crazy Christian thinking

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OOH!!! I KNOW A SECRET AND I'M NOT TELLING!!!

Now, everbody play Process Of Elimination! !!!!

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I suspect there's one helluva book waiting to be written about the 93 Oilers.

You've got a year beginning with the greatest playoff meltdown in league history when they blew the 35-3 second half lead to Buffalo, the loose screw DC Buddy Ryan physically attacking the OC Gilbride in the middle of a game, the shocking Alm crash/suicide, a team that starts out 1-4 but then rallies to 11 straight wins before a home playoff meltdown to the Montana chiefs, and now you've got the gay teammates storyline as well.

Gotta be one doozy of a behind the scenes story there.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you read the link in the OP, this revelation stems from the broader idea of the NFL Network special calling them "the most dysfunctional pro football team ever to take the field."

9. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

I'll say it -- who gives a shit?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't want to out anybody, but ... let's say there have been rumors about Ernest Givens for many years.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Luv Ya Blu

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And the NFL Network's "A Football Life" on this team was very well done. One of my favorites in the series so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted