1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing Kravitz at the Indianapolis Star is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Reddit wouldn't have anything as bad as that column.

Back on topic. Impressed Doyel has a decent haircut and is wearing a shirt with a collar. Next step is moving up to khakis.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Doyel's first column: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/10/19/meet-gregg-doyel-your-new-indystar-sports-columnist/17455467/

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

With this move, Doyel has become a lot more boring, both in columns and on Twitter.

4. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

In my defense, I'd gotten boring in columns and on Twitter long before this move.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Outing alert: greggdoyel is... hey, wait... ;)

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but I bet you could count one hand those who have edited him who would agree with you.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The worst are the guys who are no longer the first (usually due to their endless recycling of tired material), but will never stop insisting on the second until they get slapped upside the haid -- hard.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's my exact point. Fast, clean, polished and hard-working are great and rare qualities in a columnist. But they don't make a columnist great. People who edit a guy like Whicker are coming from a place of bias. I've been saved on deadline by Mike Lopresti, so I know that feeling. I also know that Lopresti turned a lot of boring-as-hell columns.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who hasn't?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Had very good dealings with MW. Only problems were sending in many corrections after his deadline as we're trying to make ours, but I accept that as someone caring about the product and wanting to get things right. Glad he's back in the saddle in SoCal.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thread-subject Gregg Doyel is almost never boring.

12. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

But my columns and tweets are! Hmph.

Smiley face.

Draft saved Draft deleted