1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing Kravitz at the Indianapolis Star is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Writers? Sure, plenty of them.

Columnists? Woody Paige went back to The Denver Post after doing just ESPN stuff for a couple years. It's not really the same as this though.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Didn't see that coming. They wanted impact. They got impact. Great for them.
    Kravitz challenged people, but Gregg takes that form to a whole notha level.

3. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I'm a big Kravitz fan and have been back to his days in Denver.

Doyel is a top 5 guy, IMO. There are few columnists who are almost never boring and ones who will take stances that they know won't be popular.

I will read the Star regularly when he starts.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Just checked out IndyStar.com and Doyel's hiring is the lead story.

I guess the question is, will he and Ramos be able to coexist?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't do wow much, but that certainly qualifies.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

GREAT hire for Indianapolis. I miss reading Kravitz's work, but this sharpens the Star's staff big time. :)

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm impressed (and pretty surprised) that the Star took a big swing. And as an Indy resident I'm excited to have Doyel.

He did a great job a couple months back on the small-town football story in Southern Indiana. If he can mix that kind of work in with his sharp tongue, he should do well here.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They hire a columnist who undoubtedly costs as much as four or five of their recent laidoff employees, and we're throwing confetti? I enjoy Gregg Doyel as much as the next guy, but that feeling of surprise is generated by the lack of logic.

9. RecoveringJournalist

One thing has nothing to do with the other. They were getting rid of those people no matter what.

The Star was in a strange spot, Kravitz was so highly paid that they could actually afford Doyel. I have no idea how much Doyel was making at CBS Sports and if they had told him he wasn't needed, or if he felt unappreciated or what. I don't think CBS Sports pays as well as some may think. I have friends there in positions that one would assume are extremely highly-paid and they make considerably less that people might think.

One person who recently left CBS Sports for another place, I found out how much the new place was paying him and I was stunned that he wasn't making that much at CBS Sports.

If Doyel was making the same as the other guy was, he might have gotten a raise to go to Indy.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The overpaid sports columnist is such a fantastically newspaper construct.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CBSSports.com and NFL.com notoriously underpay.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Dumb question: Is NFL.com separate from NFL Network? The people I know at NFL Network are pretty well-paid. I was actually surprised at how much one of my friends got.

Draft saved Draft deleted