1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing Kravitz at the Indianapolis Star is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

...Gregg Doyel.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2014/10/08/gregg-doyel-to-join-indystar-as-sports-columnist/16905811/

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Worlds colliding. This should be fun.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wow.

That's a fucking home run right there.

I know what I've said about Ramos, and I like Kravitz a lot, but that's a huge upgrade.

I'm going to have to start reading the Star.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This will either be a smashing success or smashing catastrophe for all concerned, but worth following either way.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed. I have a ton of theories about why Doyel would do this. It may simply be that CBS Sports isn't paying top dollar for columnists anymore. Freeman is gone. Doyel is gone.

Who is the must-read national columnist at CBS Sports right now?

7. RecoveringJournalist

Does anyone remember if Freeman had to take time off as dictated by a non-compete in between CBS Sports and joining Bleacher report?

I'm wondering if Doyel took this to avoid that. I have ZERO idea if anyone at CBS Sports has to sign a non-compete clause. I know Schefter had one when he was at NFL Network and Reilly had one when he was at SI.

Hell, even if Doyel only stays at The Star for a year, it will be one hell of a year. He's perfect for that job. He knows college hoops as well as anybody.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a surprise. Good for Gregg.

Say what you want about newspapers and Gannett, but these days the writers and especially columnists can build their brands and make themselves marketable (which is why they should be paid more).

9. RecoveringJournalist

Gregg is one of the few columnists out there who I consider a must-read. It's stunning to see him move from a national job to a paper, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's somebody who ESPN steers away from. That is not meant as a knock on Gregg.

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I hired Gregg at our college paper circa 1990, helped him land a full-time job in Tampa circa 1992, and I was lucky to have him on my team when I was one of the deputy SEs there. I'd like to think I'm responsible for his entire career. You're welcome, America.

In all seriousness, he did good stuff in Tampa and great stuff at his subsequent stops, and I've every reason to believe he'll do excellent stuff in Indy. Given his passion for college basketball, telling stories about real people and having strong points of view, this should be a comfortable fit.

Nice hire, IndyStar. Enjoy your new adventure, Gregg.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Gregg is so great at college basketball, why did he go to Indy? To cover Butler?

Just kidding, Mr. Crean.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are there other examples of guys going from a national site back to newspapers?

Draft saved Draft deleted