1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing an over-the-stove microwave

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, May 2, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The microwave that is above our stove and has a vent fan, lights underneath, etc., is in its final days.

How big a PITA is it to swap one of those out? I'm about the unhandiest person there is, though I have pulled off things like taking out a light fixture and putting a ceiling fan/light in its place.

For anyone who's done it, is it a pretty painless, done-in-an-afternoon deal that I can figure out how to do on youtube, or do I stand a good chance of being electrocuted?

2. KG

KG Active Member

Done in an afternoon. With you being unhandy it might not be fun, but it's pretty cut and dry.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where is your plug? Are you ready to drill through cabinets? Do you have a drill that can do it?

Also, it is heavy as a bitch. There will be a point of no return when you slap it on the mounting plate that everything needs to be lines up correctly. I would have a second set of hands with you.

I have done this job three times in my life, and it's not fun, but it's not too hard.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

Not sure about the plug, but I have a drill that should be able to drill through cabinets.

Since it's replacing one that's already there, I was hoping it would be a matter of getting the old one out, unplugging it, plugging the new one in and sliding it in. But that's probably thinking it will be too easy.

Yeah, the new one my wife has picked out is 50-some pounds or something ridiculous like that. I've got beer and a couple buddies lined up ...

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This sort of thing usually takes two to three hours.

But, if you turn the microwave on while you're installing it, it only takes about 20 minutes.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

Very nice.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Make sure you get a microwave that matches -- or comes close -- the dimensions of the one you're replacing. Especially the distance between the top of the burners and the lowest point on of the overhead unit.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dimensions are huge; make absolutely sure they are correct otherwise you'll find yourself cussing out the fact that one side is 1/2 off and will not line up to the available space.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Check to see if it is a hard wired or plug in and vented to the outside or not.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

Good call. I know there's one switch in our breaker box that is just labeled "microwave", and I remember seeing a cord going up into the back of the cabinet above the microwave, so it may be hard-wired. No idea about the venting.

I figure I'll shut off the electricity, then dig into getting the old one out before I even go buy the new one so I have a better idea what I'm looking for.

I think I just watch too many of those Renovation Realities shows, where people try to do things like take out walls and gut and replace entire kitchens in a 5-day period. Then they are stunned when they can't do it.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Having the drill is good. Having the right bits (if you need them) is better; there's one trip to Home Depot you'll save.

12. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Even if the microwave is the same dimensions as the old one, it might have different locations for the bolts that secure the microwave to the cabinet. I had to drill new holes when I put in my new over the range microwave. It took about 2 hours. The trickiest part is having one person hold the microwave in place while you secure the bolts. That can be a pain.

Draft saved Draft deleted