1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacing a Legend, Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beachst1, Sep 16, 2007.

1. beachst1

beachst1 New Member

I'm moving 1800 miles away after accepting a position in Sports Radio that allows a sensational opportunity while also creating a vast void in the region where I'm moving to due to the circumstances surrounding my arrival. The gentleman who previously possessed my responsibilities was let go which created a vocal disagreement in area communities and in the media market surrounding the community. I would like to ease the fear that I'm just some young punk who just graduated from college and who's only intention is to storm into the area and make a name for my self so I can move on to bigger and better things with out investing time and energy into the area. Have any of you ever experienced a scenario similar to this where you walked into a job where a shadow was immediately cast over you? Even if you haven't, I would be exceptionally grateful to all responses on this matter. Thanks for your help!

-Young college punk graduate trying not to be labeled as such

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Has sports talk radio been around long enough to have legends?

Not legends in their own minds, but real legends?

3. beachst1

beachst1 New Member

I understand your point and recognize it's accuracy 99.9 % of the time. The problem is WFAN kicked off Sports Talk Radio in 1985 and while the gentleman I'm replacing didn't technically start at the same degree, his career at this particular station began in '85 so in my humble opinion, he's kind of a legend in the area he covered. But your comment is completely legit since my industry is still only a couple of decades old.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Just be yourself. That's all you can do.

Bob Costas or someone like that would tell you the same thing. You can't replace a legend right away, and it's obvious when someone's trying to be someone they're not.

Same thing with writing. Write the way you talk. Write what you know, and where you're from. There are many styles, and many paths to success.

Good luck, Beach. Hit the ground running and work hard, and you'll carve out your own territory on its own merit.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If you want to make a name for yourself, do it like Mike and Mad Dog, and pick a fight with a Yankees player, especially a pitcher. But most of all, do you and enjoy yourself. That's all you can do in sports.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're replacing Imus? ;D

Good luck Boomer... Welcome to the board...

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The new Dan Patrick show without ESPN backing is worried about replacing ESPN's Dan Patrick?

Draft saved Draft deleted