1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Repetitive, repetitious problems of repetition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I saw a piece of copy a few weeks ago that had three em dashes in one sentence.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Yes, I too have a problem with em dashes -- which all too often could just be replaced with commas -- throughout my copy.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It's another form of formula, which I see all the time: angling the story so severely toward the "home" team that you lose sight of the actual story.

4. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

Wow, remember those things? God, did they smell awful.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yeah, but the case had room for a bottle of Jack.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seriously. Who gives a fuck about "first pitch?"
    How about "start."
    Your writer's a moran....

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And back then, nobody would have batted an eye if you had one.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have trouble with the plural also. ;)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you for the correction, Mr. Feinboom. :D

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I don't know that I usually see a problem with this. I cover Podunk High, my story should reflect what the readers of Podunk are interested in. I suppose there are some times (otherworldly upset, insane performance on the "other" team) that I go against that. But generally if I'm covering local vs. non-local, I think my story should reflect the experience of the local team.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Ahem.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/82937/

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That would fall under, "insane performance on the 'other' team." Plus the experience of the local team is being on the wrong end of a magnificent performance. I'd write about that. The difference is that story was aimed at blowing sunshine up the ass of the losing team, as compared to just writing about the team that lost.

If the writer in that case led by pointing out how 27 GW players came to the plate and none got on base, he or she would focus on the local and hit the central theme of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted