1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rental Housing and Dogs Question/Rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Firstime Caller, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Ok, so I've looked for rental housing with a dog in the past and I'm doing it again right now. As you dog owners who rent know, that's not always the easiest thing to do. No dogs, no dogs, no dogs.

But the thing that really drives me crazy is the small dogs only or dogs under 25 lbs. allowed. I'll admit that I'm a dog lover and believe there are no bad dogs only bad owners. Still, I can understand breed restrictions or at the least the supposed logic behind them. (I guess you can't own a rot or a pit bull into you own your own home.)

But what I can't understand is why my 35-pound dog would cause any more damage or trouble than a 25-pound dog. Like those 10 pound are really going to make a difference. (I know less than 25-pounds is code for small poodle, which my dog is definitely not.) If you're a landlord and don't want to allow dogs, I can understand that. But either allow all size dogs or don't allow any dogs. I can't understand the "logic" in a larger dog causing any more problems/damage than a small dog. I may be biased here, but, in my experience, it's the small dogs who often are less well behaved and have worse temperments than the larger dogs - always yipping and chewing at your shoelaces. It could just be a coincidence based on the small dogs I've encountered having not the greatest owners. (I don't want every small dog owner on here attacking me, and I have met some small dogs that I have liked.) But, in a past apartment, I had a neighbor who had 3 small (less than 10 pound) dogs, and they would not stop barking EVER.

So does anybody out there understand why small dogs are allowed in more apartments than larger dogs? (At the very least, thanks for allowing me to rant.)

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

smaller turds for people to step in.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Neighbors who don't like dogs are less likely to be freaked out by a poodle or other froofy small dog.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't hate dogs, but I don't want to live near any.

To answer your question, I guess it's just a wear and tear issue.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That doesn't help you, really. It would just hurt the people with smaller dogs.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, if I'm going down...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, I consider myself a dog person, although I have not had one in a few years.
    Hwoever, I can understand a landlord not wanting to allow pets.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would guess the theory is bigger dogs are more apt to tear up on apartment/house just because they are bigger.
    As far as the 25 pound rule, I generally just told the landlord my dog weighed 25 pounds even if she was actually like 35-45 pounds.
    It is not like the landlord is going to weigh your animal.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pope, dooley gets scared of Pop-Up Homer.

Good job bringing him back. (i had him in my sig a long time ago).

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Which is why me and my 110-pound dog are staying where we are until we are in the position to move into our own home.

11. 110-pound dog? Do you own Clifford? That is a huge dog!

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think it's a Great Pyrenees. I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted