1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rental Car Companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 25, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a great week rate...

2. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Whichever is nearest to me when I descend the terminal escalator.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Check out flyertalk.com for discussion about various companies, discounted rates, etc.

Avis, Hertz and National are typically considered top-tier. Enterprise is typically considered lower than low-tier.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I hate Dollar.

That is all.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. avis loves raping ass.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A heads-up: National's acquisition by Enterprise is imminent.

7. When I was traveling often for work, I liked National's Emerald Club. Got to the airport, into the shuttle bus, picked my car and I'm gone. No waiting in line.

I have yet to find a car rental outfit that keeps the time-wasting to a minimum like that.

I got screwed royally by Advantage once in San Diego. I returned the car about 4:30 in the morning because I had a 6 a.m. flight. Their office didn't open until 5. So I had to leave the car in the parking lot, keys in the gas tank, then walk from the off-airport location back to the terminal because I couldn't for the life of me find a taxi.

That sucked. I got to the airport about 5:30, tired, sweaty and pissed off.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I start with a site like Travelocity.com so I can get an idea of prices from five or six companies. I've also used Priceline.com and have sometimes been able to get good deals, offering very low prices to see what I can get. But often times it depends on the city; need a car when you land at JFK or LGA and you're just not getting something at less than $75 a day.

What's hacking me off more and more these days are the fees they tack on . . . airport access charges, etc. They can easily add $50 onto your bill.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Rented a car in a Midwestern town last week. $30 for the rental ... $30 for the taxes and fees.

10. Enterprise's bread and butter is local rentals -- people whose car is in the shop. They deal best with insurance companies and the local rentals is what they focus on. For the most part, they only have airport locations to maintain a presence within the industry.

11. You bought the insurance?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but ALWAYS ask at the counter if you are getting the best deal they offer

Draft saved Draft deleted