1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rental Car Companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 25, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Which is the cheapest? Which is the best?

I can't believe these frickin' prices! And none will give me a corporate rate with a "corporate ID number!"

NOTE: I don't want to hear about whoever it was with dysentery in the back seat of their last rental car.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

was pricing stuff for a trip next month and found Alamo to be the best.
    Start rooting around airline sites for corporate IDs and coupons...

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's not Avis. I can tell you that.

assraping motherfuckers.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If you can believe this, Budget's best price came with a CostCo discount. If you're a member of CostCo, it trumped CAA/AAA, corporate rate, and anything else.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I found this a few months ago when I was searching for a discount code for Enterprise. It has something to do with the National Pro Paintball League, but it has worked for me every time I've used it:

Enterprise offering discounts any time, any where!
    Published 01/28/2007
    NPPL Chooses Enterprise Rent-A-Car As Its Primary Rental Car Company

Enterprise Rent-a-Car is now offering special rates to NPPL supporters not only during event times, but all year long, in every region of the United States and more! With over 6,000 rental locations in the United States and Canada, NPPL Members can save money on rental cars for practice, traveling to feeder events, traveling to NPPL events, or while on vacation celebrating an NPPL win!

Enterprise has agreed to provide free pick up and return service at the start and end of all NPPL rentals, which will save all of us time and money! The program targets all vehicle rental needs, for all NPPL supporters. This includes anytime you need to travel by car with Enterprise anywhere in North America!

Enterprise has generously extended this program to all NPPL supporters for personal use, too! So if you have a family trip coming up, or want a luxury car for a special event, you can access this program for that, as well.

Click here to start saving on car reservations today! To make reservations by phone, call (800) Rent A Car and use customer 32EPURE with PIN: PUR. This special corporate discount is set up to receive special rates for the entire country.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

but you have to bring the car back splattered with paint or they will get suspicious.

7. I like Dollar. I don't trust Alamo. Avis and Hertz are probably the most respected.
    My advice has always been this: Find one that you like and somewhat trust. Sign up for their frequent renter program or whatever -- companies are less likely to fuck you over with a chipped windshield or bringing back an hour late if you rent often from them. That's been my experience anyway.
    Also, make you reservation as soon as you know you need it. Then, check back to their Website once a week or so as the trip gets closer. If that particular location is "sitting fat" (hava a ton of cars sitting in their lot) during your particular rental period, they will drop prices dramatically. I was in Vegas a couple weekends ago. I had a midsize reserved for $29 a day. I checked Dollar's site the day before and was able to get a preimuim for $16 a day. So I reserved that and then canceled the first one.

8. Also, those corporate rates and the like are usually not better (and sometimes worse) than whatever specials a company is running.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Am I better off to just wait and rent when I get to the airport at 11 PM on a Sunday night? (that's my scheduled touchdown)

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've always gotten real good rates from Appaloosa:

[​IMG]

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. You'd be better off calling from the airport or looking online when you get there.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Amazing. I just typed all that shit in, and it comes out to $300.

That's $170 less than the rate I have at the moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted