1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rent a car from National? Not me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The insurance is the cream in their coffee. It's the racket of rackets; the retail prices are beyond absurd. Avoid, at all costs.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I love the acts the counter clerks put on when they think they might be able to sell you on insurance. If you're a business traveler or look like you know what you're doing, they don't press, but I've seen them hit some people, particularly older women, really hard. I started laughing so hard once that the customer in the line next to mine at a certain agency named after Hank Hill's favorite beer that she caught on and declined the coverage. The clerk didn't give up though--she shook her head resignedly and said "Geez, I hope nothing happens!"

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At least in Vermont they had new cars (and cool ones), always available, and on the cheap. Not sure about Thrifty in other states, though.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My last two times in Denver we rented Budget. Had to wait in line for 45 minutes before getting to the counter and being served by a person who did not speak English. The rates were low (via hotwire) but I should have been halfway to Cheyenne by the time I finally got the car. Maybe I just hit the counter at the wrong time both instances, about noon. But I won't get fooled for a third time.

Last summer I rented Enterprise in MSP; no wait, friendly, college-age kids helping, free water, they brought the car right to me. The friend I went to see on that trip works in human resources, his company has been hired by Hertz to find out why Enterprise is kicking Hertz's ass as the company of choice for consumers/prospective college-graduate employees 30 years of age or less.

5. Did they attempt to kiss you before fucking you? That's just common courtesy.

Great moments in rental car history: Jackass: The Movie, Seinfeld's "you know how to take the reservation" moment, and Robert Schimmel's bit about getting the hard sell on insurance from a rental car agent.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Check your auto insurance
    2) Check with your credit card company. Some of them do - AMEX Platinum quickly comes to mind.
    3) If neither do, and you're not on a business trip, then consider the insurance options.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ace is money. I worked in this business for almost three years. Usually, the CSRs (the people from whom you get the keys and sign the contract) are paid a decent hourly wage. But they're offered nice little incentives to get customers to take the insurance coverage.

Problem is, the CSRs are hit-and-miss. Some will, as pointed out, try to scare/intimidate/horsewhip/belittle you into taking the coverages. Others don't care. I went through the process, explaining their options. The LAST THING I wanted to do was make a shameless dive for anyone's wallet ... I told them if they knew their auto insurance and/or the credit card for which they authorized to reserve the rental would cover, then no problem. Thing is, if not, they might want to consider taking it as a CYA measure of prevention.

In other words, Ben_Hecht is dead wrong, at least with "avoid at all costs." No doubt the costs aren't very comforting, but rest assured the major rental companies all employ plenty of muscle if they need to go after someone who bent up something in their fleet. Even if an accident isn't your fault, the rental companies will get their money regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted