1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rent a car from National? Not me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

When I worked for a TV network on remote productions, we had a saying. "All rentals are off road vehicles." I'll take a pass on buying any of those, thanks.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

on the private insurance note, my insurance company not only provides coverage for rentals, it offers adding my wife to the rental agreement for free (avis, hertz and budget), class upgrades, discounts on weekend rentals and all for no additional cost. god i love usaa

3. markvid

markvid Guest

The TV sports freelancer mantra:

FI, IAR

Fuck It, It's A Rental

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It was my understanding Mastercard bought out Diner's Club. I believe you can get a Diner's Club Mastercard, and there are still a few Diner's Club cards around.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely correct.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thrifty is the only place I rent from. Highly recommended.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeebus, one woman I rented from this summer was just like that. She was shaking her head as I initialed all the papers declining coverage. I wanted to say "would you rather I just not rented here?"

8. I've had to rent cars four times in recent months. Two of the clerks made no mention of me not taking the insurance, and the other two acted as if I would total the car before I left the rental garage. My policy covers it, plus I put rentals on my Amex, which provides backup coverage.

Also, Priceline can be your friend if you're looking for cheap rentals. Used it recently and saved one-third over the next-lowest price I could find.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wow. With God as my witness, I thought Diner's Club had gone the way of Player's Club and Telly Savalas. Who loves ya, baby!

10. Does Carte Blanche exist anymore?

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Words I thought I'd never see... Thrifty is cheap, and you get what you pay for.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Two words Thrifty frequently does not recognize:

"Confirmed reservation"

Best of luck, playing that roulette game with those clowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted