1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reneging on job offer - both ways

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I was curious if anyone has reneged on a job offer after accepting it or one has had an offer rescinded?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I had one rescinded.

When I was eating stringer money trying to make a go at the sports journalist thing, I was offered a position ... then the guy I was to replace changed his mind and stayed.

The ME was a good man, and he was in a no-win situation. The guy who was leaving probably hadn't done anything wrong except for the indecision and the ME wasn't the sort of personality who liked to push people out. He felt awful about telling me. Of course, I didn't want to hear it but he had left a good impression on me and that made it a fraction easier to take.

You know what Forrest Gump says.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In my mid-20s I accepted an offer and changed my mind a week later. It was a metro, they offered the job at the interview and wanted an answer right then. I asked the AME if I could think about it for a day or two and he said no, they had a bunch of positions to fill. So I said yes, gave my notice and changed my mind a week later. They were pissed; the SE was OK, but the AME called me and screamed at me. To be honest, I'm not sure the scenario would have been any different if they had given me a day or two to think about it; my second thoughts were not immediate, although I did feel the pressure was unnecessary. I think it's the kind of thing you can do once in a career, so make sure it's worth it. For what it's worth, I don't regret not going there, but I do wish I had said no immediately.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"Oh, yes sir. Bit me right in the buttocks. They said it was a million dollar wound, but the Army must keep that money 'cause I still haven't seen a nickel of that million dollars." ?

5. joe

joe Active Member

Was offered a job, tried to negotiate for more money (a whole $4,000 more, seeing as it was 60 miles one way away from where I lived), and suddenly there was a hiring freeze.

6. Sam Mills 51

Funny.

"It happens."

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Three years ago I accepted a job offer at large metro paper, then changed my mind two days later mostly for family reasons. It was definitely a decision related to location because I turned down a lot of money.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Similar situation to Joe's. Got offered a job for about $1,000 more than I was making, which wasn't nearly enough to make me jump to a nearby (and bigger) paper.

I tried to negotiate, they tried to guilt me into taking it anyway. That was a weird day. I didn't take it -- and glad I didn't, because they had layoffs about six months later. Who knows what would've happened?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I've never reneged on jobs, but I have turned down three, including one in the last couple of weeks. And I don 't enjoy doing it, even when I know it's not the right move. For some reason, I feel bad, especially when the people I interview with seem like good people, which was the case in the latest instance.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

What? Shit?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sometimes.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A lot of stories out there. I know it's usually not good to change your mind once you accept, but I think the ethics in that type of situation are always a bit unfair.

Companies, not necessarily media ones, have been known to rescind offers because of sudden cutbacks. But those type of situations are always blown off if challenged on ethical grounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted