1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rene Portland out at Penn State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is she even living in Minnesota? I thought she still lived in Pittsburgh the entire time. Didn't her husband take over when she left Oakland Catholic?

Yes, I know it's McConnell-Serio, but I wasn't 100 percent sure on the spelling of her married last name.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought the family moved. Her husband had been coaching at Mt. Lebanon, a suburban school outside Pittsburgh, but left when she took the WNBA job. One of her former assistants took over when she left Oakland Catholic, with one of her sisters becoming an assistant coach.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She was doomed from the moment that the University did an investgation, found wrongdoings, fined her and she blasted the process.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, she got off light, thanks to Saint Joe.

If some of the stuff that was out there years ago -- I'm not talking about the Inquirer and Sun-Times stuff, this goes much deeper than that -- could have been confirmed, this would've happened long ago.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Interesting column on Portland. Very outspoken, but still a good coach. The fact that Penn State was as good as it was without the top-line talent that UConn, Tennessee or La. Tech had is a credit to her. That said her stance on homosexuality has no place in sports or the world whatsoever.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20070323_John_Smallwood___Portland_case_revives_unease_over_lesbians_in_sports.html

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh hell, the Penn State job, at least in the eyes of the administrators, is tailor-made for Pokey. She gets hired, then out go all of those shithole straight women. She'll have both a team and a bunch of prospective girlfriends on the team. And the college leadership, ashamed for their so-called bigotry, will look the other way, feeling like it's only fair that the coach is allowed to promote agendas and pursue romantic interests simultaneously.

She fucking won. Who cares what her social views are? You think Bob Knight likes homosexuals on his team?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why do I feel like I just took a whirly-bird trip to loonyland?

Oh ... nice to have you back Yawn.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Knight might say that, if they're on your team, just relax and enjoy them.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Again I say, she fucking won. Who cares what her social views are? You think Bob Knight likes homosexuals on his team?

Answer the question, you lifer-in-denial you.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

About Suzie McConnell-Serio, this from the Centre Daily Times:

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'd love to punch her majesty in the face.

I should have taken her to the Indigo Girls concert last night. And Dr. J thought he'd be in trouble.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Requirements of a coach now:

Must be a skilled recruiter...wait, no, drop that a few notches.
    Must have head coaching experience....wait on that one.
    Must be successful at a Division I level...hold the phone again.

Must have in mind to immediately sign a gay or lesbian ....BINGO!

Draft saved Draft deleted