1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rene Portland out at Penn State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As well as Joanne McCallie at Michigan State, supposedly on the hot list at Florida as well as Texas and LSU. Penn State would probably be a move up as an overall institution, and they could probably outbid Sparty.

So finally women's basketball is reaching the plateau of Larry Brown/Nick Saban level coaching job-trolling fandangos.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've watched Penn State from afar for quite a few years.

When it comes to women's basketball ... there were few teams I enjoyed watching more than Penn State -- controversy over Portland or no.

They always had great guards -- Suzie McConnell, Katina Mack, Tina Nicholson, Helen Darling, Kelly Mazzante -- they ran up and down the floor, played a really quick offense and beat people. I thought this year's squad looked to be building to be another one of those teams. Until the last couple of years, Penn State had become the premier program in the Big Ten for most of Portland's run. Now, Ohio State has taken that over (which may have as much to do with this as anything -- those two programs could care less for each other).

The underbelly of sexuality politics in women's basketball is everywhere, and essentially, the discourse is dominated by lesbians who use the sport as a method to advance their agenda. Anyone who refuses to toe the line is a pariah, which is why Portland was crucified as badly as she was.

It is well-known that there are a few "gay" programs, a few "straight" programs and quite a few in the middle. Penn State was rather open about being a "straight" program, which naturally elicits a reaction.

However, during much of her tenure at PSU, a rival Big Ten coach (a lesbian) was alleged to have been encouraging her players to at least consider the lifestyle. If I'm a parent, I'd much rather have my daughter playing for Portland than a coach that is going to try to encourage her to consider homosexuality as a lifestyle option (or, I guess the correct terminology is, "discover her sexuality.")

And, for that matter, another coach (straight, male) was rumored to have multiple relationships with players, one of which he later married. Again, which one would I want to have my daughter playing for?

Then, you add in Pokey Chatman having alleged relationships with players.

Of the four coaches -- Portland will get crucified. The guy who was having relationships with his players will be publicly crucified (and was, posthumously). Chatman & the coach who was encouraging her players to become lesbians are not.

3. on another message board I frequent (non-journalism related), the cheering for this woman and her persecution of lesbians was sickening. Sure she's won a ton of games, but her bigotry, in my opinion has no business in the game. Have a nice retirement.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Chatman is taking a lot of flack in Baton Rouge, crimsonace. The reason it might not seem she is could be you are not here, not to mention she has not been spotted since her resignation.

5. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Wow, rare to see clearly over-the-top, anti-gay bullshit such as that.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He's been spewing that shit all the over the board the last few days. Karma's a bitch. That's all I'll say.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It didn't have to happen like this. Rene willingly fell on her own petard, so screw her.

She sullied her reputation to the point that Paterno, the reason she had the job there in the first place, backed off his support.

Annie Troyan, the top assistant who took over a couple years ago when Rene stepped aside, would be a good in-house choice. Suzie McConnell also will get a call, I'm sure.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good that she's getting out. What a mess she stirred.

Though I have to thank State College for one of my favorite memories. Some team coached by some woman named Yow beat No. 2 seeded Penn State in the women's tournament in 1995. In State College.

Fun times.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

McConnell is the insiders' favorite, I think. They still love her in Happy Valley.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But will McConnell wanna take over after Rene's less-than-illustrious departure?

11. And somewhere, in a dorm room in Harrisonburg, Va., Jennifer Harris celebrates with a golf clap.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is McConnell-Serio (Suzie did the hyphenated thing when she got married quite a few years ago) coaching anywhere this year? I can't find anything on her news-wise since she resigned from the Lynx.

I think she would be a very good choice for Penn State if she would be willing to go. I wonder if she wants to uproot herself, her husband and their four children again so quickly. When I met her, she always struck me as being very family-oriented. I think the WNBA job was simply too good an opportunity to pass up.

Draft saved Draft deleted