1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RENAMED: Survivor "Damn, There go the new football viewers 3 wks into the Show"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 2, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Will you watch Survivor since Jimmy Johnson's on it?

Has anyone done a deep profile on Johnson? The more I see and hear about him, he just seems to have a lot more depth than the guy enjoyed hating for so many years when he was at Miami and Dallas. He seemed to be as driven as a guy as there was, and yet when he joined the Dolphins I'm not sure he changed or every other coach in the league caught up. Supposedly he's made a bundle in the market, yet he still hawks boner pills and he does Survivor. An interesting dude.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember being surprised how much I liked him after an interview. I've been told that after Jones forced him out in Dallas, he lost all motivation as a coach, which makes sense when you look at how many times he was begged not to quit when he was in Miami. I was basically told, "If he's motivated, nobody is better. If he's not, good luck..."

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Like Sonner, I caught the mud on JJ's face and knew he'd stick around for at least two episodes. I thought the old-timers made the right call keeping the idol or whatever it was. They didn't need an advantage in tha challenge. I'd wait for something more physical too. Now, had I been the younger tribe, I would have used the idol since it would have given them an edge in a challenge that was equal.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That young tribe is a freaking disaster.

NaOnka is insane and completely intolerable.

Shannon is a homophobe who let it show at the most bizarre-ass time.

Jud is a moron.

I'm dumber for having watched that tribal council. What a bunch of shitheads.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I thought it was awesome. I love when people flat out melt down like that and half the tribe changes their vote mid-Tribal Council.

Shannon was like "Ah fuck. I'm sunk ... might as well go all out ... 'So dude, are you gay?'" He didn't seem to understand there's more to "trust" than not telling lies. To trust someone, you have to know they won't go freaking crazy at any random moment.

Not sure what to make of Nayonka. The older people, I feel like they're there to play the game. I'm suspicious most of the younger people are trying to land other acting gigs. Maybe Nayonka wants to be the next Omerossa, and you can't be that without acting bat shit crazy. It would explain the lengths she has been going to to be a pain in the ass.

And finally, I like Jimmy Johnson. As someone else said. he's come off much deeper than I expected. His coach talk cracks me up, but also surprises me in that as stereotypical as it seems, it's also at times insightful and well though out.

I think his tribe would be wise to keep him around until the merge because he is so good at managing people and problems and providing motivation.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That was a bizarre tribal council.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What's with the dude saying he wants to bring all the minorities to the final?

Imagine the outcry if a contestant said he wanted to just bring white people to the finals.

I'm pretty sure that was Shannon's plan, but he didn't say that on camera.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The whole episode was strange: one woman's stealing shoes and then having a breakdown, another woman's stealing socks and then yelling at the guy from whom she stole them, a guy's randomly asking another guy about sexual orientation during an argument at tribal.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that may have been the oddest survivor episode i've ever seen. but entertaining as hell, especially the tribal council.

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Mrs. Seahawk and I rewound the tribal council just to watch it a second time. Unreal meltdowns across the board.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really odd. After watching the tribal council I'm surprised Kelly B wasn't targeted for stealing the one sock.
    Fabio is great, Nayonka is psycho, Chase is a doof and the Asian Sensation has skillz. Why nobody thought "Uh, Shannon is a tool but he might keep us from coming back here a couple of times" makes me think this might be a great season.
    And the swim coach is a nut, but who brings $1600 gator shoes on Survivor and gets pissed if they get ruined? So many great lines. The woman who gave the idol clue to Marty? I'd be surprised if she doesn't make the final five.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did they show her stealing the sock?
    I missed that.

Draft saved Draft deleted