1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RENAMED: Survivor "Damn, There go the new football viewers 3 wks into the Show"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 2, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured he would give Jane her props and point out, again, how right he was in his assessment of her chances.

I finally realized who Holly reminded me off - Mrs. Voorhies from Friday the 13th.

2. I am continually amazed by the jury's inability to get past their pettiness in the time they have to assess things before making their vote and how they continue to vote on their own personal experience rather than who played the game the best. Sash clearly played the game better than everyone else and got nary a vote. He was less hated than Richard Hatch but Hatch won because people realized they got clearly outplayed and voted as such.

Chase and Fabio didn't do much of anything though Fabio deserves credit for hanging around until the end and then turning it on in challenges.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sash clearly played better than everyone else? Really? Not in the Survivor I watched.

I think the best player won.

4. Fabio clearly played well enough to stay under the radar so nobody would vote him out. And he definitely deserves credit for winning when it counts. But he didn't play the game at all. He never made any big moves, never even really had an alliance. He floated through it.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Staying under the radar and winning when it counts are all part of "playing the game". It's been proven that you don't have to make big moves or have a strong alliance to win.

Survivor is a weird game. He may not have won by YOUR interpretation of what "playing the game" means. But her certainly did what was necessary to win. Playing the game to him meant staying under the radar, etc..

I thought voting off Holly last was the smartest move of the game. He knew everyone hated Sash. And he knew Chase was dumb. It was the perfect storm. He hadn't pissed anyone off. He hadn't broken any alliances.

Fabio played the game VERY well. And he won. Deservedly so.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The beauty of the game is that really anyone can screw someone over, what you need to do is build up enough goodwill before you do it so they will vote for you in the end.
    Russell Hanz played a hard game and played it well, but nobody stuck around long enough in his alliances to feel any attachment to him and they voted the mill to someone else. If you can get three solid votes on the jury, people who feel invested in your success, that is how you win the game. You can't count on just not pissing off as many people.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with JackReacher. Fabio didn't not play or float through to the extent that some past players have done.

There were times he showed that he was definitely thinking, and trying to work things out for the best, and not just totally being carried along.

And his victory just proves, again, that likability often matters -- in Survivor, and in real life.

In fact, I'd say Fabio's victory was more like "reality," more realistic and true, than many of the victories by other Survivor winners.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Fabio played the perfect game. Didn't piss anyone off too badly (which you almost always to have avoid doing to win) and won the challenges are the perfect time. I don't think Sash played that great a game at all. He cracked me up when one minute he'd be saying he was running the show and the next he'd be squirming trying to save himself.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

One of my favorite moments of the season came about 2/3 the way through. Fabio was talking to, I think, Benry, and goes "GEEEZ I guess I'll keep playing stupid. It's SO easy, but obviously the best option still."

We never had to see Fabio scramble. Maybe he'd have been good at that too. We never had to see him do anything but stay under the radar. Against a great competitor, I don't think he wins with the way he played. But he wasn't against a great competitor. Sash, even if he was bailed out on what seemed like a ruthless vote against Brenda, simply fell into the alliance that seemed in control at the end. With seven people remaining, just two episodes ago, he was still trying to decide where his loyalties lied. Chase, meanwhile, did a lot more to get himself to the end, but his wishy washy pansy ass way of playing made him very vulnerable.

Looking back, they should have voted Fabio out instead of Benry. The fact that Fabio won makes that kind of a "well, duh" comment, but Benry himself pointed out why with his comment during the torch burning thing. "If I'd have stayed in, I am confident I could have won all the challenges ... unless there was a puzzle."

Yeah. Unless there was a puzzle. They all obviously underestimated Fabio, which was largely to his own doing. This was the first time in awhile the person I wanted to win actually won.

Draft saved Draft deleted