1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remote access for work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Dec 14, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Our new ME is really big on letting us use remote access software to work from home and "have somewhat of a normal life," when it doesn't hinder getting the paper out in a timely matter.
    We use logmein.com and I have no complaints. I usually stay home on Sundays now and work instead of going into an empty office to layout pages.
    I also use it at night from home to upload the web and finish off the last bit of stuff that I didn't need to sit in the office for (like lotto or resending a page that had an error). We all use IM to stay in contact, it's been great.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Use a VPN set up all the time.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When our boss lets us work from home (weekends this past season, plus random days when family issues preclude someone from coming in) we log in via VPN. We've got all the programs we need and it's the same thing without having to sit in an empty office.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I log-in remotely with this little key fob that has a six-digit number that changes every minute or so. Makes me feel much more important than I actually am.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SecurID. I have one too. :D

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

You guys are like spies.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

What's this remote access that people speak of? We can't even check our work email without being in the building.

8. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Are any of these remote access clients compatible with circa late 90s Macs?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We were promised this early last year, when we got socked with a couple blizzards. Yet only a select few have access.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How awesome! You get to work your regular hours, PLUS do "homework."

Yeehaw.

Here's a hint: the LAST reason they're doing this is so you can have a "normal life."

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Nope, I actually get done quicker this way. I usually never have much to do between 10:30 and 11:15, so I leave around 10:30 and am home by 11 (instead of midnight), kiss the wife goodnight and upload the web before the lotto even hits at 11:10 or 11:20.

I wouldn't be happy about it if it wasn't making life easier for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted