1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remind your kids.....please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Things were better 20+ years ago?

http://www.wlbt.com/story/15583854/ex-minister-indicted-on-sex-charges

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Gratification of lust is a crime?

3. Point of Order

Leave it to Mississippi...

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Well judging from the posts of late, I guess my great niece should have just hopped in the van with those kind old folks and gone off exploring the world. After all, only 115 a year, what's to fear?

Fabulous.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

6. Bubbler

I think its better than it was when I was a kid if for no other reason than people are more aware of the possibilities of stalking, etc. That shit didn't even enter your mind when I was a kid.

My wife and I clash on this. She's in the "there's crazy people all over" camp. That's fine, but there's always been crazy people. We just know more about them now.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

The talk is how drowning occurs more often than kidnapping and getting chopped up or whatever fate the kindnapper gives. To me, the thought of a child of mine dying is bad. The thought of them dying in fear of an attacker or torment is sickening. You're looking at them and knowing that their final moments were of the worst kind.

8. Bubbler

All right, but it's a weird way to get to that point.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Well there's plenty weird about that situation.

Death ain't easy but I kept replaying that thought of helplessness should they have chosen to jump out of the van and grab her. That area has two major interstate routes right there and they could have been in one of three states before being noticed..then it's off to the races.

A few years ago up here, I heard of a guy who lured a girl who had low self-esteem, about 9, into his apartment, then did a Dahmer on her body parts, put her in a huge plastic tupperware type storage chest full of formaldehyde and that's how she was found. All the girl was wanting was attention and she got him. I fantasized about getting a chance to rip that guy's throat out of his neck.

10. Bubbler

(walking backwards slowly)

Joking aside, I get your point, but life is too short to worry about shit like that. The odds of something like that happening are off-the-charts.

As a parent, just use common sense. Don't put your kids at undue risk, teach them and give them as much information as they can digest at whatever age they're at, but also, don't baby them to the point where they don't learn some things for themselves.

11. Point of Order

Interesting.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I used to be left home alone when I was 8 up through the day I turned 18.

When some random stranger knocked on the door, I was under instructions to not answer. When some random stranger called, I was under orders to tell them my parents were busy.

I did that with people whom my parents knew extremely well, then I got the, "well, you can tell him I'm not home!" Once I turned 18, I could tell anyone when my parents weren't home.

If I had a kid, I sure wouldn't be leaving him or her alone at 8!

Draft saved Draft deleted