1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remembering Lyman Bostock....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 18, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Very enjoyable, emotional, read by Jeff Pearlman on someone I admired growing up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bostock

Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. What 3 beautiful swings on the same team, Oliva, Carew and Bostock.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the story - probably because this is the era when I really started following baseball and I remember hearing the news surrounding Bostock's death.

That being said, while there are no limitations to space on the Internet, that doesn't mean stories should be *this* long. I don't think magazine-length stories like these translate as well (I wonder how many people make it through an entire article like this, or a six-pager from Salon, for example).

Also, I hate when author's put themselves in the story. I understand why Pearlman did it, but it left me not liking the way he wrapped things up.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, did not need to see the writer's feelings at the conclusion.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not about the text of the story, but that is a beautiful layout. The intermixing of the pictures, video and story is fantastic.

If newspapers are to survive through websites, there is the set bar and it's pretty high.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding piece.

6. cortez

cortez Member

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just about all of those e-tickets are outstanding.

8. Armchair_QB

I remember when he was shot. As someone else mentioned that was right around the time when I really paid attention to baseball as a kid. I didn't realize his killer only served a year though.

Not sure why, but the fact the killer still lives in the same building 30 years later really tugs at me for some reason. Gary's never been a garden spot but, according to the story, this guy has stayed in the same place while everything around him decayed over the last 30 years. Makes you wonder.

9. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I remember to well the heartbreak when he left the Twins. Damn you, Calvin. But it was nothing compared to the pain on his death.

A very moving tribute to a man who deserved it and more.

I'm still processing the story's walk off.

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The story was good, until the end, which ruined it for me. It could have been handled without Pearlman injecting himself into the piece.

11. Armchair_QB

I didn't have a problem with that at all.

12. Neither do I.

Draft saved Draft deleted