1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember when this was a poem about the Nazis killing people?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 3, 2008.

1. From David Brooks' latest (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/02/opinion/02brooks.html?ex=1210478400&en=e02a817512727e75&ei=5070&emc=eta1):

Hillary Clinton summarized the narrative this week: “They came for the steel companies and nobody said anything. They came for the auto companies and nobody said anything. They came for the office companies, people who did white-collar service jobs, and no one said anything. And they came for the professional jobs that could be outsourced, and nobody said anything.”
    ---

Cribbing from Wendy's ads? That is cool.

Cribbing from poems about the Holocaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...)
    That is very, very not cool.

(And, while we're on the subject, can we talk about how ridiculous this is as an economic statement? Who is the "they" who is "coming" for all these jobs? Does Hillary Clinton want us to believe there a secret cabal - The Elders of Globalization, maybe? - which periodically sends various industries to concentration camps in its quest to control the world?)

Anyway. I don't really care to have the economic debate. I would just like to argue that famous poems about Nazi oppression are not the best things to copy for your speeches on economic policy.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not the most perfect analogy, I agree with you. However, in our five-second attention span country, it'll be effective.

3. Don't believe it was a poem. Believe it was a sermon.
    Outsourcing is not genocide.
    That is all.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Middle class? Who the fuck needs a middle class?

-- The Penguin

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Sirvaliant. I agree completely. Aside from your very compelling central question, there is the tangential matter of her husband (whom I voted for twice) being one of the key "elders of globalization."

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Michael Savage seems very fond of this peom. He likes to use a variation of it to explain why people should support him in his battle against CAIR. He also used it while defending the FLDS cult.

Draft saved Draft deleted