1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember Creem magazine?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They're fighting over it now:

http://www.observer.com/2007/no-rock-love-gents-try-creem-each-other

It was must-reading back in the day -- Dave Marsh, Lester Bangs, Greg Shaw....

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a brilliant headline: "No Rock of Love as Gents Try to Creem Each Other."

3. There's a coffee table history of it out now with some of the original articles.
    Alas, Bangs doesn't age well.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Whoever would have thought <i>anything</i> from Creem would have wound up between hard covers?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I will not rest until I put together the best-of Circus book. (hi Flash!)

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Are you too busy working on Best of (s)Hit Parader and Best of RIP in the meantime?

By the way...I need your address so I can get you a gift subscription to Metal Edge.

I still have several copies of Creem from back in the day. I'm always on the lookout for copies at garage and estate sales in hopes that I might be able to put together a full run someday. Does anyone remember when Creem relaunched in the early 90s? It was an oversized mag similar in size to early Spin. Didn't last too long. And I'm all over that book! Saw it at Borders a couple of days ago. That fucker pwned me.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Remember Screw Magazine?

Didn't think so.

8. Smasher_Sloan

As a smart-ass college kid, I worked up something I thought was brilliant and fired it off to Creem HQ in rural Michigan. It came back a week or so later with one of their famous form rejection slips, BUT there was also a personal note from Lester Bangs saying, “There's no room for this right now, but your wit and sass mark you as a true Creem-dome, so please try us again.”

I was as thrilled by that as I would have been by a $25 check had the thing been accepted.

9. Smasher_Sloan

He kids, and yet....

http://rockcriticsarchives.com/features/circus/circus-intro.html

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Smasher, you son of a bitch. Here I was ready to log off and, you know, sleep and, you know, get up at a reasonable hour today and, you know, accomplish something, and you spring this on me. Now I have to read it all. You bastard. May the voice of Jay Horwitz haunt you as you try to sleep.

This guy had the best name I've ever seen: Mordechai Kleidermacher. I remember seeing that name every month and going "That HAS to be fake."

And I remember the New Kids on the Block cover he references. I remember it like it was yesterday, standing in my favorite record shop, reading that magazine and just frothing with rage. The New Kids on the Block? What the fucking fuck? I quit Circus that day, so I have no idea about the Arrested Development that further spelled doom.

His interview is a great read for anyone who has ever worked at a small pub and had to move mountains to get anything done with anybody of note. I guess I'll read the rest of the interviews now too. Thanks Smasher. You bastard.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The Al Goldstein mag?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember that. Have two copies buried in the basement somewhere.

As for Creem, which I would puruse at my local Mister Sound store, Boy Howdy!

Draft saved Draft deleted