1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remarkable Alan Schwarz column on Lidle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I very much doubt that Lidle was offering to take him up on his cross-country trip to California.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know Lidle so I don't know but I also wonder if the "scab" thing is part of it. Those players aren't as popular with their teammates so I wonder if the media represent an outlet for the normal type of conversation most people like to have.

Baseball writers, am I nuts on this?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a beat writer, but have written about baseball. I do know that Lidle carried the scab thing around with him everywhere he went. Remember reading one account at some point about a bus ride, in which the shit he was taking got so bad--and it was coming from everyone--that he picked one player and just decided the best thing to do was fight him right there on the bus.

The guy was what, 22, 23 when he made that decision to pitch an inning of replacement ball in spring training? Yet, it was an albatross he carried around his neck till the day he died. I didn't know Lidle, but you'd have to imagine it shaped his personality. It's probably why he wasn't afraid to call out Bonds--why be loyal to the fraternity when the treatment he got at times had been horrific? And he probably sought out friends among non-ballplayers, as you are asking, because I am sure there were a lot of players and teammates who wouldn't judge him by who he was--to them he was just as a scab.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i liked this one, too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/461174p-388013c.html

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In an age where everyone plays dumb and spouts the company line, Lidle's comments on Bonds were just an enormous, enormous breath of fresh air. He was so truthful and genuine about it.

My take, if I were a columnist (and maybe someone has already written this) - Lidle was treated like he had hurt the game. Meanwhile, this steroid freak, in his mind, really had hurt the game, and no one would speak out against it because of the sanctity of the "fraternity."

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The whole scab thing is being way overplayed. The issue was settled 10 years ago. Guys suffered the consequences, understood why and moved on. Most of their teammates let it go at that. You can't stay hostile for more than a decade at people you essentially live with for six months a year. Every once in a while some animosity surfaces but for the most part veteran players, while they haven't forgotten, have turned the page. Another thing to keep in mind that not all scabs were held with equal disdain. A player who had had MLB service before crossing, for example, took a lot more heat than a marginal player who may have been threatened or duped. And several of the scabs (Kevin Millar and Frank Menechino come to mind) are pretty popular figures in their clubhouses.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

MLB players griping about scabs crack me up. The ultimate capitalists acting like communists. It's absurd. It was relevant once upon a time, back when, you know, these guys weren't all among the nation's wealthiest 5 percent, but now it's just a cartoon.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Communists? Maybe you should stick to cartoons.

9. Lester Bangs

Pardon my hyperbole.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The Schwarz column is a terrific read, but one thing nags at me.

These conversations, he wrote, were off-the-cuff and not taped.

Well, how convenient is it, then, that Lidle has the perfect, spooky quote to wrap up the ending in a nice package?

11. Lester Bangs

C'mon ... do we have to be so cynical that we question everything? Some things you just remember and that's not what one would call and complicated and/or detailed quote.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's weired, but in time of tragedy such as this, off the cuff conversations can flood back to you, maybe not verbatimin its entirety, but phrases or passages will hit you like a ton of bricks, no matter how innocent or redundent the conversation was. I can still remember conversations, word for word, with my sister who passed suddenly a little more than 10 years ago, and at the time I thought nothing of the conversations. They were no big deal, but now they are some of the things I remember the best, for whatever the reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted