1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remarkable Alan Schwarz column on Lidle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Excellent stuff, particularly the last few graphs.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was just about to post this after reading it. That was great writing and definitely left a lump in my throat at the end.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

I'd argue that mentioning that the tape recorder was off was a nicely-veiled nod toward saying the rest of the conversation was paraphrased.

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

That's the way I read it too.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Junkie, if that's you got from that column ... man, you need to defrost yourself or get a pacemaker or something to get your blood moving.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Then there's this one:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061012/NEWS/610110407

7. Smasher_Sloan

...And this one:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/133-10122006-725807.html

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Again, the best columns report and write rather than just opine from the couch. This is one.

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

Strange. Lidle may not have been liked by his teammates, but he certainly seemed popular among the media.

10. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

I might get flamed for this...but here goes:

I covered Lidle (briefly) during one of his MLB stops. I would not call myself close to him like Alan Schwarz, Michael Geffner or Randy Miller apparently were. The thing I find uncomfortable is how all of these reporters are suddenly writing stories about how well they knew the guy.

Now, I understand that this kind of piece doesn't usually get written until a guy is traded from your beat, leaves as a free agent or retires. (This is an extreme, and terribly unfortunate, situation.) But I can't help it when I see all of these stories. I wonder: are these guys really that close to Lidle, or does his death spawn this kind of column?

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

If that isn't a punch to the gut, I don't know what is.

12. Smasher_Sloan

If you cover a baseball beat full-time, it's not unusual to bond with a few players, usually on a particular subject of mutual interest. There's a lot of down time, and starting pitchers have more of it than the other players.

In this case, it's just a matter of the player having a sudden relevance apart from baseball and these guys reaching back to recall personal moments they shared.

Draft saved Draft deleted