1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remakes better than the first

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I liked King Kong as well, but it was wayyyyy too long (and that's coming from someone who enjoys long movies). The scene where they're chased by the pack of dinosaurs, for instance, could have been about 7 minutes shorter and still been pretty cool. Also, it looked like they spent so much time and money perfecting the Kong CGI stuff, that they slacked off in certain other parts, namely the dino chase. You could really tell the actors weren't occupying the same space as the dinos.

Still, it was worth it for the T-Rex fight alone. Good god that was a great scene. My favorite part of the movie was when Naomi Watts is trapped between Kong and the T-Rex and she kind of looks back at Kong and then gets behind him.

I was disappointed in War of the Worlds. CGI aside, it wasn't nearly as good as the original.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The 2005 version was much closer to the book. I certainly prefered it, as did many of the book's fans.

I despise the Gene Wilder version.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The Italian Job and Ocean's 11 are good picks.

I didn't enjoy the movie as a whole, but The Talented Mr. Ripley made me realize that Matt Damon was a pretty good actor.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So does he, bit that is beside the point.

WOW!!!!!!!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sportschick, is there some J. Depp crush we do not know about that is skewing this result?

Or is your opinion just our pure imagination?

6. Johnny Depp is far less terrifying than Gene Wilder. "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is a horrifying movie.

As for remakes, the Denzel Washington "Manchurian Candidate" is pretty good.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The Fly by David Cronenberg ... Jeff Goldblum's one golden moment, also features an amazing cameo by George Chuvalo.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted