1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remakes better than the first

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was also going to mention Scorsese's Cape Fear-not as good as the original, but De Niro gives an underrated performance.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Juliette Lewis' performance in the newer Cape Fear was sublime. An alienated rebel and a frightened little girl all wrapped up in one.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right dooley, I'm not sure how I forgot to mention her.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I enjoyed Peter Segal's take on "The Longest Yard."

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I thought the remake of The Hills Have Eyes was better than the original.

Others that are as good or better than the original:
    The Thing [1982]
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978]
    Body Snatchers [1993]
    The Ring [2002]
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [2005]

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

BLASPHEMY!

7. BLASPHEMY!2

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gene Wilder is a great, great man . . . but in this specific instance, believe that BGZ has . . . a point.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What Doc and FOF said!

Both movies mix in a certain level of creepiness with absurd humor. The remake goes overboard on the creepy. And Gene Wilder was great in that role.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I liked it more than I thought I would...but it's not better than the original.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are going to look long and hard to find another person who thinks the 2005 version was better.

At least they didn't say Superman.

12. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Robb Zombie's "Halloween."
    What I like is that it didn't ruin the original at all for me, but it was fun seeing it through a different pair of eyes with some updated storylines and more background on Michael Myers.

And, count me among those that enjoyed Peter Jackson's "King Kong." That was a movie that definitely needed to be seen in the theater. Same goes for "War of the World." Watching it in the movie theater, it was phenomenal. On TV? Not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted