1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remakes better than the first

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet a lot more have seen the Bogart version than the ones before it, though.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have. They're terrible. Say what you will about Dashiell Hammett, but those version s did not do him justice in the slightest.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I changed it once to stop the fanboy crap. It helped a little.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I didn't know the Bogart version was a remake of a 1931 flick

But then I didn't know the Alistair Sims "A Christmas Carol" was a remake.

Apparently, lack of creativity in Hollywood isn't new.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow... I'd take the Charles Grodin KK over that one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe you mean the Jessica Lange King Kong. Geez.

[​IMG]

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Depends whether you want to call it a remake or a sequel, but "Batman Begins" was light-years better than ANY of the Burton/Schumacher flicks, which have aged astoundingly badly.

With 20 years hindsight, the Burton Batman movies don't look much different/better than the old TV show. The Schumacher fiascos were like bad episodes of the Saturday cartoon version.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True dat.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That might be a tad unfair to Burton's first effort, but no question Batman Begins is far better than any of them.

I'm not sure you can call that a remake, though, because the stories are so different.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've always said that no actress has ever looked hotter in a movie than she does in King Kong. A great beauty at her absolute peak.

Claire Forlani in the otherwise shitty Meet Joe Black is up there, too.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading Sinatra was notorious for not wanting to rehearse for movies, which is why so many of his sucked. The exception was From Here To Eternity because he knew his movie career was resting on its success. And even then, once he realized what a huge hit it would be he and Montgomery Clift (I think it was him) starting hitting the sauce pretty heavy halfway through shooting. Not to thread jack or anything, but Dirty Dingus McGee always makes me laugh.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The original's a marvelous snapshot of a few moments in time, featuring some beloved characters.

The remake is a better MOVIE.

Draft saved Draft deleted